Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Graphite Rods and Brazing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a HEAVY cast axle with a blown out pivot pin whole. Factory is 1 3/8, it's now pushing 1 3/4

I'm debating my options. If I had a mill I'd do that immediately. I'm just trying to see how I can get it done myself without going out for it.

Could I put a graphite rod in the hole of the proper size then build the wear up with brazing? I know it works with welding, I would assume the same with braze?

Like these:
https://www.mcmaster.com/graphite-rods/

Thanks for any tips, even other ideas,
Brandon

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first thing I’d do is buy a new grease gun

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tell the guys that beat it to death the 50 years before me. Most of that excessive grease is probably from me. The kingpins are just as bad, none of the fittings would take grease until I messed with it with penetrating oil and a torch...but too late.

Brandon

Phonostud
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greetings Brandon: You might be able to solder in a piece of thin wall steel tubeing, or weld it in place. I have arc welded grey iron castings several times, and have had the best luck with 6000 series electrodes. The nickle alloy rods made for grey iron
usually didn't work as well. One part couldn't be welded with either one. Bad chemistry probably. Good Luck!

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might be onto something.

1 1/4 pipe is 1.380 ID
The pin is 1.375 OD, so it'd be a good match

Thank you, you're getting my brain going, my main concern was how to get a decent hole after adding material!!!

Brandon

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you could. There was a series of videos by 'turn right machine works' on Youtube where the author built up a lathe cross slide using graphite or similar cores for shaping his brazing. They were posted on Youtube just a few weeks ago.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Weirddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:43:39 07/14/20) You might be onto something.

1 1/4 pipe is 1.380 ID
The pin is 1.375 OD, so it'd be a good match

Thank you, you're getting my brain going, my main concern was how to get a decent hole after adding material!!!

Brandon

Without a mill, how are you going to get a 1.66" dia. Hole for the 1-1/4" pipe exactly where it needs to be? Will the 1 .38 inside dia. Of the pipe be good enough? Common ERW pipe will have a light weld seam inside. Might have to use seamless.

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The diameter should be doable, even if it needs a little finessing. Die grinder might clean up any internal welding.

Locating the pipe would be tough and I'm thinking up solutions, maybe welding it onto a plate on one side that will locate it while I do whatever else in the mess that is the original bore. I think braze but not sure. Then cut it off when done.

I'm thinking out loud.

Will it be a super precise fix, no, but a LOT better then how it is now and should be durable to last for my hobby use

Brandon

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know his videos but missed those, I will look, THANKS

Brandon

baldy347
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A guy posting as fireball tool has a video on removing the inside weld seam that seems to work well.

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know the poster you're talking about but had missed that one. Very interesting idea, though overkill for the one pipe I might do haha

Brandon

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How long does the pipe/sleeve need to be?

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep forgetting to lay a tape on it but probably about 4 inches

Brandon

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've taken stuff like that to the local machine shop and had it bored and sleeved back to size...helps if ths shop has a good center pin to measure

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Graphite Rods and Brazing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be my normal route but I am out of a job and trying not to be stupid with money.

And it ANNOYS me that I don't have access to a mill to do it myself. I want the practice.

Brandon

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters