Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I just got these new used barrels (had motor oil in them) and installed a brand new Fill-rite FR-112 rotary pump. I cracked the small vent plug on the drum but I guess that wasnt enough? You can see the other drum there and its our old pump on it. That pump was installed on an old drum we have and had it for about 30 years with no issues like that. I dont like keeping that vent open in fear of getting trash and water in. Do you think these drums are made with thinner material now?? What would be a good solution so this doesnt happen again? I can get another drum.

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make a 180 breather stand pipe in place of the vent plug. A 3/4" NPT x 4" nipple, 3/4 street elbow, 3/4 elbow, and a 3/4 NPT sintered bronze breather vent (180 allows it to be pointed down).

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim.ME wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:15:55 07/15/20)
Make a 180 breather stand pipe in place of the vent plug. A 3/4" NPT x 4" nipple, 3/4 street elbow, 3/4 elbow, and a 3/4 NPT sintered bronze breather vent (180 allows it to be pointed down).

Yes I was thinking of doing an elbow vent out of pipe. Didnt know how to keep bugs and trash out though. Thought about some type of check valve type thing

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Natural gas company has a yard near the house. During the Summer the drums of different chemicals does that. At night you can hear the drums contracting and all during the day they expand.

If the vent plug has a flat bottom. You can drill them and install a valve stem. Remove the core. Place a piece of fuel tube long enough to hang over the edge of the drum and then install a small engine inline fuel filter on the end of the hose. It allows the drum to vent and the filter keeps dirt and water from entering.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The do vary in strength.
16, 18, 20, 22ga
No ribs, two ribs, three ribs
About a dozen different UN ratings one of which is test pressures ranging from 100 to 300 psi.

I guess you now know your pump is not worn out.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bush the vent hole down to 1/2 NPT, put a nipple in it and find a small oil filter with 1/2 NPT threads.

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RTR wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:25:07 07/15/20)
Jim.ME wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:15:55 07/15/20)

Yes I was thinking of doing an elbow vent out of pipe. Didnt know how to keep bugs and trash out though. Thought about some type of check valve type thing

sintered bronze breather fitting pointing down will do it.

(picture from the internet)

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Didn't the pump get hard to turn?

miangus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They shell a pipe thread vent cap for fuel oil tanks, has a screen init.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Marine Fuel tank vents come in a vast variety of configurations, some are surge proof and restrict fuel from getting out, but vent inward, as well as
keeping liquid (water) from getting in when placed above the barrel rim. All have screens that are approved for flash suppression. Cheap as well. A
barbed hose fitting a 2" piece of quality neoprene hose, and the boat vent. My suggestion. I googled - Marine fuel tank vent. Jim

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the pump. Install a tire valve right beside the opening to the drum, you'll have to drill a hole. Put air to the drum untill it pops
back in shape. Then as other s have said vent it with a 90* + 90* so no water can enter.

Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Impressive what 14 psi will do. Yes drums are thinner today. .

We get metal delivered in them and some of the drums are so thin they collapse when we pick them up from the outside
with a forklift and barrel lifter.

K Effective
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad worked for a company that manufactures small vacuum pumps, air motors, blowers and compressors. For the annual company picnic, his test lab would create a guessing game for employees to win prizes centered around a product they manufactured. One year they set up a tiny vacuum pump on a sealed 55 gallon drum during the Owner's usual lunch-time speech.The employees had the opportunity to enter a guess how long before the drum collapsed from the pump action. Man, when that thing imploded, it was impressive! This was early 1970's, so drums may have been more robust, but a sudden crumpling accompanied by a huge noise got everyones' attention, and ended the speech short, a welcome side benefit!

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fill it with water 1st!

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Pump Ruined My New Drum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

K Effective,

Might your Dad have worker down state for Gast Manufacturing in Benton Harbor??

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters