Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 1250A head problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the head gasket has leaked in the same spot 3 times now. parts are hard to find for this model. The mechanic I had didn't think that the head was compromised.

I now feel that I should remove the head and have it inspected and shaved. there are 2 different head gaskets for this model, I am told. knowing which one I think could be troublesome for me. also, getting the right head bolts new may be a trick.

I live in sw washington, not the best country to find oliver advice or help.

Any comments, pointers or advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Flat

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its a 1250-A it'll have the 3 cylinder diesel, parts shouldn't be any problem to find or a used head.

Flat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Flat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Traditional Farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:11:53 07/15/20) If its a 1250-A it'll have the 3 cylinder diesel, parts shouldn't be any problem to find or a used head.

I forgot to mention it was diesel and 1968 2wd

so, where do I get the head gasket set with the new head bolts. maybe even head, if I find it is cracked?

The last time we tried this was years ago and we had a very hard time chasing anyone that knew anything about it. My mechanic was not very motivated, he is more of a parts changer. he just not very through and is out of that work now (health).

I have an old manual that is complete top to bottom on this tractor, he also got one out of it.

scootergmc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you ever talked to these guys? I'd give them a shot: http://www.importtractorparts.net/

Flat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think so. I will tomorrow when they open

thank you

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said it fails the same place. Where is this place. What have you done to find the problem> send me an e-mail.

scootergmc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He has good history on your tractor too:

http://www.importtractorparts.net/olivertractors.html

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have had 3 identical failures just changing the gasket will not solve the problem!. Send me an e-mail and include your phone number. J.

Flat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm new to this website and can't find your email or how to add mine
dvmustang2@gmail.com
360-837-3986

I think we were thing it was bad head bolts. he checked it with a straight edge. I believe that I need to have it checked better. It ran strong even though it would blow some pretty black smoke at load. as soon as it leaked again, I shut it down.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you check the top of the block?

Ken Loewenhagen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said the mechanic didn't think the head was compromised. Didn't think might be the problem. Take it to a machine shop and have them check it. If it checks out ok then, I suggest you do some checking of the block. I had that happen with an Oliver 70. Block and head went to a machine shop. Milled the head but, he said the block was good. I don't think he checked the block. Put it together and started adding water and had seepage before the radiator was even full. Pulled the head and put a straight edge across the block. Found an .008" gap. Complete tear down of the engine and had the block milled. It's been good since.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1250A head problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will work on that tomorrow. I am going to my grandson's graduation first.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters