Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

spark plugs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenpully
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can I use non resistor spark plugs in an engine that came from factory with resistor plug?Will non resister plugs put more load on electronic ignition system? Why was resistor plugs used in any engine? Thank You GP

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can it will work I would gap the new plugs at about .035 to .040". Resistor plugs raise the voltage at which the spark jumps the gap. (as does resistor wires) the intention is to raise the spark voltage. The resistor wires also eliminate most of the radio static as well.. Jim

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would stay away from Champion plugs. I had 6 fail in one week. My brother bought a weed eater. Would not start. Replaced the plug with an NGK. Started up fine. Champion is not what they used to be.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have fixed several Husqvarna engines with resistor plugs that somebody decided didn't need a resistor spark plug and then brought it to me because it didn't run right.

It screws up the timing with them because the ignition module is looking for the resistor in the plug to time its spark.

The resistor sparkplug was originally invented to minimize radio interference from the ignition system. The same reason for resistor spark plug wires.

Just go to a tractor show where they have a parade. If somebody is standing close by talking about each tractor on the P.A. system, you will know the ones that don't run resistor wires and resistor plugs. The P.A. system gets all staticey when those tractors drive by.

racered57
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the gap would be the greatest resistance in the circuit, an open circuit in fact. fascinating. Now throw in a few extra atmospheres and some voc and snap bang poof if your lucky!

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Janicholson wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:18:11 07/17/20) You can it will work I would gap the new plugs at about .035 to .040". Resistor plugs raise the voltage at which the spark jumps the gap. (as does resistor wires) the intention is to raise the spark voltage. The resistor wires also eliminate most of the radio static as well.. Jim

Bingo... What he said...

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my experience (mostly small engines) Champion has been junk for 40 years.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So...why would you want to? You have a specific spark plug recommended by the equipment manufacturer, and you have any number of substitutes available from other plug brands. You're not going to get any improvement in performance, if that's what you're thinking. At best, the non-resistor plug will be a buck cheaper than the equivalent resistor plug.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Absolutely Fawteen !
In 1978 I put a brand new Champion plug into the left hand cylinder of my Yamaha 500 . Finger tight , then just snug and the thread sheared right off and stayed in the head ! Magpies roosting in the tree nearby flew away from the swearing . Ive never used one since .

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure, it would "work" and the world will not end, but if the system was designed to use resistor plugs that would be my choice.

John T

Indiana Ken
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Janicholson wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:18:11 07/17/20) You can it will work....Resistor plugs raise the voltage at which the spark jumps the gap. (as does resistor wires) the intention is to raise the spark voltage....Jim

This is new to me. My understanding is/was that the spark occurs once the voltage ionizes the gas/air between the plug gap. I am puzzled; how does the resistance, change the voltage level required for ionization?

karlinpa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i wont use champion either tryed them twice through the years had no luck reading this see nothing changed

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All this hate for Champion spark plugs! You guys must be doing something WRONG, they work fine for me!
Had a diesel pickup for a daily driver for 23 years, only replaced glow plugs once. The platinum plugs in newer cars run much longer that the plugs in your 1950 & 1960 vintage cars and trucks. But whether it's in an air cooled Kohler, my Stihl chain saw, leaf blower, string trimmer, or one of my FARMALLS, CHAMPION plugs work for me.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you have six plugs fail in a week. That tells you something. Put in NGK never had a problem.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

only plug i use are champion . if you have a Dodge you better run Champion

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters