Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

ethanol gas

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1955
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found this place, a while back, found gas near me, for mowers and such, great site. mark55 https://www.pure-gas.org/

8n13325
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I actually run non ethanol fuel.
Especially in farm equipment and anything
that can sit for a while.
Ethanol fuels are very BAD AT ABSORBING
WATER.
Chemical engineer would call it "Phase
Separation".
Ethanol and water combine in the fuel
tank and degrade the tank and lines.
Molecules of water in the air are
absorbed by the ethanol molecules.
Brain hurts now
Nap time

c.oawright
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can separate all the ethanol out of the gas by adding water. The ethanol and water combine and go to the bottom. Add the water and slosh it around and let it sit. The combined water and ethanol goes to the bottom. You need a clear container with a sump to do it easily. Or siphon the bottom off until it isn't clear.
Several ways to do it. Its like sumping the water out of airplane tanks or your tractor.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen that site before.

Best call first, all it takes to get on the list is to sell the over priced quart cans of 2 cycle gas.

I looked up my town, showed a (very customer unfriendly) mower shop. I know they don't have a pump or bulk, just the little cans.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my area Walmart is selling ethanol free gas at one pump.

Jack345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right on. Don't use unless planning to get it out of tank soon. Chainsaws, sawmill , tractors all get non-ethanol fuel & they work just great.

dzc3
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to start a war but had ethanol fuel in my Honda generator for about 1.5 years, I was worried about but started on the second pull. My secret is to shut the fuel off under the tank and let it run until
carb. is empty not recommending anything but works for me

walterg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ethanol gas burns hotter and can damage air cooled engines.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Because the information at pure-gas.org is crowdsourced, it tends to be unreliable. Anybody can add a station and anybody can remove a station. But I don't know of a better source.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use E-10 in all our 4-stroke engines, with no problems whatsoever! Ethanol was originally added to reduce pollution, now it's doing that and carrying the farm economy! I was pretty sure you were wrong, so I googled it, and this is what I found!

Ethanol helps keep engines clean, too. It burns more completely and at a slightly cooler temperature than gasoline. ... Oxygen atoms inside ethanol join forces with oxygen molecules in the air to help ethanol burn more completely. This extra amount of oxygen also helps gasoline burn better when it is blended with ethanol.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doing that is great if you have a engine that can stand 80 to 83 octane fuel with no way to determine what it really is! Jim

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This thread made my day.

I've used E10 for 40 years, or ever since it came out, in everything from farm tractors to chain saws, weedeaters, etc. and I can honestly say I've never had a problem I could blame on the ethanol.

I inadvertently let a wheeled string trimmer sit outside all last winter with ethanol in the tank. It started on the second pull this spring and ran perfectly with what was in the tank.

I think a lot of problems are blamed onto ethanol when they're actually caused by something else. Plus there's an endless amount of barroom and coffee shop disinformation going around about ethanol. Someone says E10 will damage two stroke engines because it burns hotter than pure gasoline, another study says ethanol burns cooler. I prefer to believe a credible study.

The owner's manuals for both of my Stihl chain saws simply advise against using gasoline with more then 10% ethanol. So that's what I use in them. They both sat for close to two years while I had back surgery and followup problems. They both started right up this spring on what was in the tank.

And so it goes.

K Effective
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, Goose, I'm glad you've had good luck.

I've replaced all the fuel lines on my older small engines after they swelled shut, and even had a carburetor boot break in half on a snowmobile after the material was exposed to ethanol fuel. I was lucky then, as I did not burn a piston running the motor lean without oil injection.

The only gas engines left on the farm are my two antique tractors and chain saws. I think I'll use the non-ethanol fuel, just in case, as I really just don't run any of them much any more.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whatever works for you, I don't hold it against you.

Back in the 1970s I had a little Fiat roadster, fun little car, a little two seat ragtop. Four cylinder water cooled rear engine. It needed to run on premium gas. When premium began to get scarce, on a tip from someone I tried E10 ethanol in it, and it ran as good on E10 as it did on premium. I won't even try to explain it.

That was the most fun car I've ever owned. I commuted 22 miles each way to work with it at the time and the fact that I was getting 34 mpg when everyone else was still getting 12-14 didn't detract from it.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ethanol gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> I think a lot of problems are blamed onto ethanol when they're actually caused by something else.

Right. If you leave gas in a small engine for several months, chances are you're going to have some problems. It doesn't matter that much whether the gas has ethanol in it or not. And since 99.999 percent of the gasoline sold in the US contains ethanol, naturally ethanol gets the blame.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters