Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

American Bosch injector phasing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have my Super 55 American Bosh injector pump on the bench and l am following the manual to check the phasing.
I believe when the pump camshaft lines up with the pointer and the marked tooth on the head is also lined correctly it is the number 3 cylinder that is fuelled instead of number 1.
The manual dosn't go onto explain how to change the phasing. If someone can steer me I would be very grateful.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am guessing that phasing to you is when you want to "flow time" the pump? When you have everything lined up you are on #1 cylinder. I will send you an e-mail. J.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two marks DO NOT align at the same time when head is installed correctly. The cam tappet is set to just begin lifting at cam base circle, then head mark is aligned to install head. The cam is turned to lift plunger to Port Closing, front hub mark then aligns with pointer. At that time gear mark will have moved one tooth away from it’s installed mark. When gear mark is in window with hub mark aligned, pump is timed on cylinder one. When hub mark is aligned and gear Mark IS NOT in window, pump is on cylinder six on six cylinder pumps, or four on four cylinder pumps.

john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks l understand most of that and will work through it over the next few days double checking everything.
At present when l rotate cam the hub mark aligns when number 3 port not 1 or 4 closes.
John

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be you have the wrong head assembly that has a different head gear, what is the head number? I'll try and see what you have, might be a Case or MM PSB head..

john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks again.
I have gone over the details you outlined. The sequence now is as follows.
As the hub mark and pointer align the marked head gear tooth is one tooth past arrow and my number one port has begun to open.
I hope this is correct.
In my head this is happening 26 degrees before TDC?
Again thanks John

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the hub mark/pointer align is PORT CLOSING. That is found on PSB pumps by removing the delivery valve and spring. With cap in place, throttle set wide open, low pressure or three foot gravity can used, fuel will flow from number one outlet. When drive hub is turned to align mark with pointer flow should just stop, PORT CLOSING. With tappet wear on older pumps hub mark might go past the pointer slightly. Port closing means the plunger has risen high enough to close off the inlet port and then trapped fuel above the plunger is ready to be forced to the injector. The metering sleeve location determines when injection stops by opening the plunger hole. Metering sleeve MUST be at full load for accurate port closing check, if sleeve is in no fuel position port closing can't be found. Where the hub mark aligns in relation to flywheel is engine builder spec, usually 25-35 degree range.

john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's the method l used and l need to check that again because the fuel just began to flow as the mark passed the pointer.

john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay
I have been over the pump again, tappet just barely beginning to lift, head mark aligned, operating lever back, rotate cam and fuel just begins to flow as mark and pointer align and head tooth mark one tooth past.

Everything seems correct except port is opening not closing.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will flow stop when hub is turned further clockwise? I've seen Oliver pump hubs have the plate slip on the hub before too.

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

“ I've seen Oliver pump hubs have the plate slip on the hub before too.”

Yes, that happened to the pump on my fleetline 88.

john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, the flow stops as you rotate it past the hub mark clockwise, just as it spins forward.
If the plate has moved on the drive hub how could it be in register with head and with the tappet?
I will look at the drive hub l wasn't aware it was two piece, is it a press fit?
Thanks a lot John

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plate with timing mark is a pressed/crimped fit, they have been known to come loose. If flow stops within 1/8-1/4 inch past the pointer I'd more suspect tappet wear/pin/roller wear..

john r brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello yet another message about my pump. Thanks for all your help so far l hope this isn’t getting tiresome.
I am still at a loss to understand how the port opens when it should be closing.
I checked the drive hub and it looks perfect.
My observation is the plunger begins to lift when the hub mark is 1/2 inch before the pointer and they align when my port opens and when the port closes the hub mark has turned approximately 45 degrees clockwise and the plunger starts to return down.
Thanks John

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: American Bosch injector phasing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say the flow stops as the hub mark is just slightly past the pointer? That's NORMAL with a slightly worn tappet, and flow WILL stop again when tappet is on it's way down and head gear turns the plunger far enough the plunger slot is no longer in register with that outlet. Forget about PORT OPENING, it's NOT used on PSB pumps anyway. Port opening is ONLY used on some inline pumps with variable begining/constant end of delivery plungers.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters