Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Keeping track of your tools.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Zappe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This past year has been challenging to me in keeping and finding tools fast. I have looked for affordable
tool boxes. Like always living in a small town tool boxes are never for sale. So this last year I took and
used my used peg boards by hanging them up in the tool room. My ideal was simple to hang a lot of the tools
up because every time I was in the room I would kick a tool box full of tools. The problem was simple the big
wenches where always hiding from me because they where in tool boxes i was kicking on the floor. To be this
problem is solved and will be a big help to my tool room. Enjoy the pictures of what I had done. It is
cheaper than buying the new tool boxes that I wanted.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't like tool boxes, there is always more stuff in them than you can find. Usually end up dumping the box on a table to make the search. My solution is to make drawers for my work bench. At least the tools are spread out enough to look for something.

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tool boxes need to be organized just like anything else. If you just dump stuff into whatever drawer is open, of COURSE you'll never find what you're looking for.

Screw drivers - one drawer with slots. Phillips on one side, straight on the other

Pliers - one drawer

SAE Wrenches - one drawer with racks, wrenches arranged by size.

Metric Wrenches - See SAE wrenches

Sockets - one drawer for 3/8 and 1/2 drive with sockets slots arranged by size, separated by drive size, regular and deep and SAE and Metric

Second drawer for 1/4 drive arranged the same way

There's more, but you get the idea.

Also, put ALL the tools away after EVERY job. I can tell with a glance in a drawer if I've missed something.

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like your partitions, I have done something similar with my new tool box. Ellis

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While it would be nice to be that organized, I don't have time for it. I do have separate drawers for screw drivers, pliers, metric wrenches and sae wrenches but the tools just get dumped in the drawers wherever. I have so many sae sockets though I have a separate drawer for them. The metric sockets just get dumped with the metric wrenches.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:14:15 07/27/20) While it would be nice to be that organized, I don't have time for it.
not

That can be a vicious circle and an expensive one, both financially and mentally.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:37:55 07/27/20)
CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:14:15 07/27/20) While it would be nice to be that organized, I don't have time for it.
not

That can be a vicious circle and an expensive one, both financially and mentally.

I don't have enough time to not be organized. Stephen, many of us know that you spend a lot of time working on your own van instead of doing the work that makes you money.

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nah, I prefer organized chaos. That way I know where it is and at least my son and son in law have to work for it when they borrow it.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do a lot of different trades however a mechanic is not one of them, just maintain my own vehicles. I do have to use the same tools to repair and maintain the equipment in my shop. Spending time organizing tools would just take time away from paying work. I've done
time evaluations in my shop putting every tool back in a particular place opposed to just throwing them in a drawer or a general place and I could do about 25% more work throwing the tools in a drawer. The only way that kind of organize would help me is if I had a
helper doing it and I'm not sure the salary would be worth it.

Robert (ID)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A wise neibor of mine has a sign just inside the door to his shop.. It simply states the truth.. "He who has a full set of tools , has no children"

Brent Zappe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some how I have to agree with you. When I live in Riverside California I had learned that you do not hang out
tools. People who break in to your property can steel quicker this way. Now I live in the sticks and the
hanging up tools work great. I can see and grab quicker. Just have to remember to put the tool back up on the
hanger.

Brent Zappe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like that sign. There is only on thing I am not married nor have any kids. Back where I use to live in Riverside California. I had people breaking in to my property and you never ever made a tool easy to find. Since I moved to a rural area living in the stick I can organize my tools in my shop. Yes I have to admit I have thrown a tool at a Deer ounce in a while. If you know what I am saying about wild life gettin in the way of things.

Brent Zappe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very cool and nice. one problem is that I like to keep a tote tray empty because I put tools in that I will use for that project I am working on. This allows me to stay focus and not get confused because I can get confuse quickly. A hand tote is what I use and it works for me. That is why i have hung tools on a wall because I grab what I can see in minutes. Not hours.

jniolon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

most (99%) of my tools are in my shop..50= feet from the house. If I have a house project, I gather all the things I need in the shop and carry them in a tool tote or in my bucket boss on wheels... but, invariable I make another 15 trips back to the shop to get something I didn't know I'd need or forgot. Well, I tell my doctor I do exercise.

j

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping track of your tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess it comes down to which would you rather spend your time doing: Getting and staying organized, or pawing around in a pile looking for your 10mm socket?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters