Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fair fee for some welding work?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff in ND
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About a month ago, I was at the farm and talked to a neighbor about fixing a grader blade I busted last year. He came over with his loader, took it home, welded it up and added some reinforcement, then brought it back.

I was not there when it came back to talk to him about it.

I have since went back home but he needs some compensation! What could be a typical labor for this? Central Minnesota. I suppose he spent a couple hrs on it... What happened is a 3 pt hitch my late Dad must have bird S*** welded on to replace a old IH fast hitch broke off. I didn't have the time or talent to fix it properly.

No $$ was discussed...

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are satisfied with the work 50 to 75 dollars should be adequate. Ellis

SkipperII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suggest that you ask him. He might have done it, just to be a good neighbor. I personally like to help my neighbors. If he asks for
nothing, buy him a gift card to a farm store.

timcasbolt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple hundred would probably make him feel good, and he'd be inclined to help again. Of course, if you two trade labor back and forth on a regular basis maybe you just need to do something to help him.

FLOLDFORD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeff if I take on a welding job in my small home shop I charge $45 an hour. That usually covers my consumables and electricity and labor. If it's less than an hour and for a good friend it may not cost them
anything. My wife stays on me all the time for working for free.

tlock0331
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ellis Kinney wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:17:41 07/27/20) If you are satisfied with the work 50 to 75 dollars should be adequate. Ellis

the guy loaded it up, took it to his place, spent a couple hours fixing it, and brought it back, and you think 75 bucks should be enough?

As for me, i would give the guy a couple hondos at least, his gas, his time, you didnt have to lift a finger and it showed back up done. unless you were going to fix it yourself, you would be out way more than finding a place to take it to actually fix it.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to ask him how much you owe him since no price was discussed its whatever he says.He may plan on doing it for free but knows its worth $200 really,you
offer him something $50 then you have insulted him.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I would ask him. You start guessing at a price you may give him too little and insult him.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hard to say If he charges fifty an hour and spent some time you better ask.

1948CaseVAI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO NOT put him on the spot by asking - if he is a good neighbor he will not tell you how much he really thinks it is worth so he will give you a low number.

As suggested a gift card at a local farm store is a great idea. $200 is a good number since you had to do nothing to make this happen, except to ask. You will keep a good neighbor that way. $50 would just insult him.

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

weld shop small or large are 90 to 125 hr in my territory

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1948CaseVAI wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:06:45 07/28/20)
DO NOT put him on the spot by asking - if he is a good neighbor he will not tell you how much he really thinks it is worth so he will give you a low number.

As suggested a gift card at a local farm store is a great idea. $200 is a good number since you had to do nothing to make this happen, except to ask. You will keep a good neighbor that way. $50 would just insult him.
I ask & if he says nothing or gives me a number I know to be too low, I up it to a reasonable + amount and ask if that would cover it. That's me.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with $200 to compensate him for his time, equipment, materials and skills, plus the door to door delivery. It may have taken him longer that just two hours total. It probably would have cost you at least that much to take it to a welding shop if you include your fuel and travel time. It also shows that you respect his time, skills and friendship.

Ron W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It all depends on how much you value him
being your neighbor. Good neighbors are
hard to find a fantastic ones are
impossible.

It's the thought and repect you are
showing. I am not familiar with your area
nor how big his family is, but I would say
a $150 gift certificate at a local steak
house. If that isn't possible, then a card
from a box store, such as Home Depot.

Next time your in a jam, he will be there,
and probably wont take any compensation
because he will know you appreciate him.

Pete in Holland MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair fee for some welding work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gift cards are a good idea.

Some have said up to $200. Buy 4 cards in $50 increments. If he thinks it's too much, he can give you back those he
thinks are too much.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters