Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

M1 .30 Carbine

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverfear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone here have one? Love it? Hate it?
The one I'm looking at is one of the later knockoffs so not military issue.

Tony in SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had one since 1974. Was my go to gun in my youth. It was light and cheap (at the time) to use. It would knock a Jack Rabbit down with one shot, no matter where you hit it. Sometimes my buddies 22s would take more than one shot. Its a short rifle so it is easy to get in and out of a vehicle with. I have 5, 10 and 30 round magazines. Mine is a WW II era rifle. Don't use it too much any more. More of a collector piece now.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I had never traded the one I had off for a stupid Dodge D-50 pickup that has never been any thing but a money pit. Good firearm even if not a military gun. A little light for game like deer but will still do the job if you hit the deer just right. Yes I used it at times on deer and also used it as a training firearm for my nephews as they where growing up. Little to no kick made it a good training gun for a kid who was say 8-15 years old

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That might be my next firearm.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good light easy to handle with a good fire rate but a small almost pistol like round

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our American Legion Post is raffling off an M-1 Garand. New in the box from the Springfield Armory. Has the special rear site. I'm not much of a gun guy so thats all I know. tickets are 10$, hoping to sell 1000 by Labor Day, thats when the drawing is. gobble

Kansas4010
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Absolutely right. I have an M1 carbine and an AMT Automag pistol that fires the same round.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be a 3006 round and much larger round the the M-1 carbine but both guns are good firearms

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, very good rifle when in good operating condition. Used to be as common as todays AR's, CMP use to sell them cheap to the public. WWII vintage ones with non matching numbers, are often worn, ones mileage may vary. Fulton Armory offers a very nice better than mil spec version, will cost you more, but seeing WWII vintage ones are ridiculous in price, I'd take one over the old ones for a reliable shooter. Hollow points are very effective and although the round is similar to a .357 magnum, it's still a very potent round, regardless of the things you'll hear about them from the past. This is my go to carry around rifle when patrolling my place and or hiking same and or surrounding lands I have permission to walk. Light, effective at decent ranges, you can't beat these. Older ones may have feeding issues, like to run wet, need to use care with mag selection and the larger capacity mags, you may not want to top off, leave a few rounds out. There is all kinds of videos on you tube. Ammo not exactly cheap, but there are some better deals off the web, I found the surplus Korean ammo to be very good.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one issued to me when i was in the National Guard at our local unit, fired it once year, i think the unit only had two,wished i would of taken a picture of it! Even had the serial number memorized for a long time!

Two Dogs
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one of the knockoffs about twenty five years ago at a gun show. I think I paid about 90 bucks for it. I seldom shoot it. It rests propped against the wall next to my head board. The last time I had it outside it would go bang every time I pulled the trigger.

4wdtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a chance to get one years ago, wish I had. But I wanted a Garand and didn't want to spend the money on another gun at the time.

K Effective
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had one on the farm that my Uncle secured while in the Corps, Dad loved it for woodchucks. I had issues with it not firing if you didn't let the slide slam shut when chambering the first round. Of course, that is much louder to do, so if I snuck out after a chuck and crawled around without a round in the chamber, then wanted to lock and load before aiming, the target was made aware of my presence, and often vanished. At least that was my excuse for lack of productivity when chuck hunting.

Uncle eventually came back to claim "his" Carbine; if I'd have known it was just headed for the pawn shop I would have bought it myself.

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought about buying one years ago but Pop talked me out of it. He had bad experiences with them in the Philippines. He claimed he went through three or four and threw them all away before they got him killed. Ended up grabbing a BAR he was happy with until he got put out of commission. Could have been more of an ammunition problem than anything.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: M1 .30 Carbine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The National Guard Unit I was in was an Artillery Unit that carried the M1 .30 Caliber Carbine for a side arm.
Sometime after I got out of the Guard I bought a new .22 that looked like the M1 Carbine's little brother. Still have that .22 and like it, and still use it some.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters