Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mtjohnso
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live in Western Washington and had a wet spring. That generally gives us a lot of thick grass in the hay.
I have a Kosch mower on my Farmall Supet A. I keep fixing things on it and mows well in most hay. But when you get into places in the fields where there has been extra moisture the grass is thick and hard to mow. Even those with disc mower sometimes have problems.
I try to raise the mower up a bit and that can help.
I sharpened the sickle at the beginning of the year. Have only mowed about 20 acres on it this year.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions of what to do to keep mower from plugging?
I know if I am on a steep hill in thick hay I can kick it out of gear and ease it down the hill and it will cut through it.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes it’s a pain when it’s laid down or really thick and wet maybe replace the sections

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guards also get wore out and they might be right at the limit as well new sections would probably help a Lot

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is giving you problems with a disc mower it will be worse with a sickle bar. IMO

Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep my blades very sharp. Touch them up with a grinder about every 8 acres. Only takes 5 minutes.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kosch mower on Super A plugging in heavy hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Standard or stub guards? standard ones can clog in heavy going. lifting it a little could make the hold downs hold the knife a little tighter enabling it to cut. The hold-downs need to hold the knife firmly on the guards in order to cut thick stuff.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters