Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8n cracked head or block

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigwade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: 8n cracked head or block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently had the head gasket on my 8n bust. Blowing exhaust out of the radiator and steam out of the exhaust. No big deal, swapped in a new gasket, seemed to be fine and let it sit a day. Started it this morning, drove to the field, within a minute of starting to bush hog I noticed steam out of the cap. Got off vented it, expecting it to be the air pocket. Drove a bit more and it started making an odd noise, then exhausting out of the oil fill. When I changed the head gasket last time there was no issue with water in oil. I drove it back to the barn, steaming and spitting the whole way. Looks like milkshake in the oil now and the cylinder head is showing huge heat signs, paint gone and the playing on the plugs cracking. Trying to figure out if I have a busted head or block at this point. Any way before I pull them to check?

kossuth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n cracked head or block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kinda hard to guess online but I'd likely take the head to a machine shop and have them check it over for straightness. You're blowing head gaskets likely because something is warped or your not getting a good purchase on the studs/bolts when you torque it down. Also did you retorque the head after running it after you swapped the gasket the first time?

Hopefully it's just the head. If the head checks out and you did get it snugged up then the block is likely warped and that's alittle bit of a bigger deal.

kossuth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n cracked head or block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kinda hard to guess online but I'd likely take the head to a machine shop and have them check it over for straightness. You're blowing head gaskets likely because something is warped or your not getting a good purchase on the studs/bolts when you torque it down. Also did you retorque the head after running it after you swapped the gasket the first time?

Hopefully it's just the head. If the head checks out and you did get it snugged up then the block is likely warped and that's alittle bit of a bigger deal.

kossuth
Regular

Report to Moderator

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n cracked head or block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kossuth wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:31:11 08/04/20) Kinda hard to guess online but I'd likely take the head to a machine shop and have them check it over for straightness. You're blowing head gaskets likely because something is warped or your not getting a good purchase on the studs/bolts when you torque it down. Also did you retorque the head after running it after you swapped the gasket the first time?

There is a bad echo in here!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters