Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammygunns1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I’ve purchased a new manifold for the H I’m overhauling and the manifold came with slotted holes so that you can mount various carbs on it. The regular H carb used studs into the manifold, so that’s no longer an option. What do you guys think? Should I just buy nuts and bolts to mount it? TIA

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post a picture of that manifold. you have no other choice if it has slotted holes. is it chinese? ... but they would not think of that.

sammygunns1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is as good of a pic that I can get at the moment

mccormicksw4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nut and bolts will work fine
Your manifold is made to fit an H or Super H which has a larger carb. I am not aware of an aftermarket manifold made specifically for just a Farmall H carb
I got one of those manifolds with a tractor NIB. The dual carb flange didn't bother me but the ports were very small and I sold it not liking that aspect. poor knock off of the origianl
did your ports look smaller?

sammygunns1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ports looked pretty close. What nuts and bolts would you
recommend? I was thinking flanged grade 8 fine thread would
be a good choice.

mccormicksw4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-sammygunns1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:20:24 08/16/20) The ports looked pretty close. What nuts and bolts would you
recommend? I was thinking flanged grade 8 fine thread would
be a good choice.

that choice would be the best you could use Idea

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use a thick small OD washer under the nut, on the top side of the manifold. Use anti seize on it, and no lock washer. You might end up making a bent wrench with a torch to tighten the nuts. Jim

mccormicksw4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Janicholson wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:00:26 08/16/20) Use a thick small OD washer under the nut, on the top side of the manifold. Use anti seize on it, and no lock washer. You might end up making a bent wrench with a torch to tighten the nuts. Jim

I don't think washers are required with flanged nuts and bolts that the OP said he was using
agree normally flats on slotted holes

Ken Hansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 23:00:26 08/16/20) Use a thick small OD washer under the nut, on the top side of the manifold. Use anti seize on it, and no lock washer. You might end up making a bent wrench with a torch to tighten the nuts. Jim

If you have a real hardware store to get the nuts and bolts from I would tell them you want SAE flat washers. If you have a Cat dealer near by I could get the cat number for some hardened flat washers if I knew the size, I would guess 3/8 inch bolts. Let me know if that is the right size and you want the part numbers, would need the over all thickness of the manifold and carb flanges including the thickness of the gasket.

mccormicksw4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken Hansen wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:22:06 08/17/20)
(quoted from post at 23:00:26 08/16/20) Use a thick small OD washer under the nut, on the top side of the manifold. Use anti seize on it, and no lock washer. You might end up making a bent wrench with a torch to tighten the nuts. Jim

If you have a real hardware store to get the nuts and bolts from I would tell them you want SAE flat washers. If you have a Cat dealer near by I could get the cat number for some hardened flat washers if I knew the size, I would guess 3/8 inch bolts. Let me know if that is the right size and you want the part numbers, would need the over all thickness of the manifold and carb flanges including the thickness of the gasket.
an H carb has 5/16 holes
I think everyone including myself is over thinking this . any bolt with a flat washer on the slotted hole will do the job just fine and that includes a grade 2 I disagree with nichalson on the lock washer. They came with lock washers so why wouldn't you use them on this manifold
regular bolt with SAE washer with lock and nut on the bottom

sammygunns1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H Manifold slotted mounting holes for carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help fellas. My hardware has a pretty
extensive bolt section so I’ll surely be able to make something
work.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters