Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Toro lawn mower

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Toro lawn mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a Toro walk behind mower, about 15+ years old, with a 6 1/2 hp Tecumseh engine. It has been perfect it's whole life, except it has blown the dipstick out a couple of times. Yesterday the wife was mowing under some trees and a branch must of touched the dipstick and unscrewed it and blew oil all over. Is there some reason there is so much crankcase pressure? Thanks!

J Hamilton
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Toro lawn mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like that crankcase breather is plugged up

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Toro lawn mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had same problem with a 7hp & 8hp Tecumseh engine over the years,besides the breather valve as a possible cause several other possible cause's of problem:
1-blade bent/out of balance causeing vibration
2-worn eng bearings/internal parts causeing vibration or worn threads in dip stick cap,dip stick tube
3-possible damaged/loose flywheel
4-dipstick rubbing on crankshaft or other internal moving part(s)

The rubbing dip stick was my problem,I noticed more & more nicks/rough edges on dipstick,ground 1/16" off each side of dipstick & that cured problem.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Toro lawn mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Believe it or not but it has a clogged PCV valve. If you look there should be a tube that comes from the carb to a part on the block and that is where the PCV is and it needs to be replaced

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Toro lawn mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned that it could just be worn out. Too much combustion going past the rings for the crankcase vent system to keep up.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Toro lawn mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update!! I tore it apart when I cleaned it up, really can't find anything wrong. The crankcase vent tube is open, I don't think it's wore out because it doesn't use any oil and starts the first pull, and has good power. One thing I have always noticed about this engine is when you check the oil before starting it always show high. But when you wipe off the dipstick and check it then it's good. So, I think it's just the nature on the beast, it's been a good mower for many years. Thanks for the comments!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters