Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

tea 20 hydraulics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragrace390
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: tea 20 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I removed the pump from my tractor last night to replace the relief valve. I drained a couple of quarts of water and the oil was severely contaminated. My question is would it be best to go on and "freshen up" the pump while it is out and to what extent? If so, are the rebuild kits universal for one with or without the oscillating control valve? Mine looks to be a 1952 model based on casting numbers and has the later valve and brace in the control arm fork. The previous owned used the tractor to drag pine trees around so I'm certain the pump has been over worked a bit. I also removed the top cover to aid in the removal of an excess of silicone and cleaning of hydraulic bay so would it be advised to rebuild the cylinder also? This has probably been addressed in a previous thread so I apologize for any repeat questions. Thanks for any answers on this matter.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: tea 20 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good morning dragrace390
I'm interested in knowing what prompted you to replace the Relief Valve?

Did you by chance install a gauge and verify the operating discharge pressure of the pump pressure?

Each owner to their own.

If the Test gauge indicates good discharge pressure, no jerkiness lifting of arms, and no excessive dropping / lowering of three point arms, I would not tinker with the pump.

Bob..Owner of Ferguson TEA-20

dragrace390
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: tea 20 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mr. Bob, thanks for the response. I'm replacing the relief valve because the lift would not lift unless the engine was at high RPM and It would also sink as soon as the clutch was depressed. I removed he side cover with the PTO engaged and could see fluid flowing back up from where the relief valve is so I'm taking it for granted that with no other leaks being seen that the relief is bad. The top cover got removed for the sole purpose of cleaning up all of the silicone that was used; it was severely in excess.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: tea 20 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rather than the pump I suspect that the lift cylinder may be worn .
A 1952 tractor could have either gasket or o ring seals in the pump , both should come in the rebuild kit . A worn or scored cylinder wall or rings need to be addressed before the lift will hold pressure . Dont forget to inspect the lift pipe o ring seals as well .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters