Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

60 starting suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnieinChesterfieldVa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: 60 starting suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all. My '55 60 has been running like a top ever since i did a complete tuneup back about 2 yrs. ago. I bushhog with it about once a month & it always starts immediately with choke on & slight throttle. Today i decided to wash the hood. Tractor started immediately so i could move it near a water hose. It never did get to full operating temperature before i shut it down to do the washing. During the wash i was very careful not to get water near the electronics, coil, etc. Anyway, when i went to fire it back up to put it away i thought maybe i still needed to choke it a little. I may have flooded it, not sure, but it didn't want to start. My question is when i try to start it again in the morning, should i apply choke or just leave the choke off alltogether? I know other times when i run it i get it to full operating temperature before i shut it down.....so if i restart right after that i use no choke whatsoever....& it fires right up. The only difference this time was it never got to full operating temp before i shut it down. I'm baffled. In the morning is it best to use the choke or leave it off alltogether.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 60 starting suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should be OK either way but I'd let it roll over a few times without the choke. If it doesn't fire then give it some choke. With my A I usually go to half choke as soon as it pops.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 60 starting suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are all a bit different, mine start best with throttle back,,no choke..,

ArnieinChesterfieldVa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 60 starting suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys. I haven't tried it yet but i've been thinking of changing out the spark plugs anyway so before i try firing it up again i think i'll do that. I've been running the same plugs for about 2 yrs. now. I'll let you know how i make out.
Arnie

620 John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 60 starting suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-ArnieinChesterfiel"](quoted from post at 14:57:13 09/27/20) Hi all. My '55 60 has been running like a top ever since i did a complete tuneup back about 2 yrs. ago. I bushhog with it about once a month & it always starts immediately with choke on & slight throttle. Today i decided to wash the hood. Tractor started immediately so i could move it near a water hose. It never did get to full operating temperature before i shut it down to do the washing. During the wash i was very careful not to get water near the electronics, coil, etc. Anyway, when i went to fire it back up to put it away i thought maybe i still needed to choke it a little. I may have flooded it, not sure, but it didn't want to start. My question is when i try to start it again in the morning, should i apply choke or just leave the choke off alltogether? I know other times when i run it i get it to full operating temperature before i shut it down.....so if i restart right after that i use no choke whatsoever....& it fires right up. The only difference this time was it never got to full operating temp before i shut it down. I'm baffled. In the morning is it best to use the choke or leave it off alltogether.[/quote]

Something that I learned by accident this summer was to play with the throttle while cranking the engine over. Leave the choke off. I do my best to reach down and grab the throttle linkage and bounce the throttle back and forth while cranking it over. Did this a couple of times on the 620's when they got flooded. Bouncing the throttle really helps get the B going anytime.

ArnieinChesterfieldVa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 60 starting suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, i used the suggestion of starting without any choke. He stumbled a bit so moved it to full choke, then half choke real quick cause he fired strong, left it there for about 10 seconds and OFF with the choke alltogether. I guess i was more paranoid that i should have been. Strange how the same model tractors can start so differently than another. Probably depends a lot on carburator settings, etc. Anyway, i'm a happy guy and got some bushhogging done. Thanks for the help !
Arnie

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters