Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcaldwell
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My JD 300 backhoe has stopped working when it gets warmed up. Hydraulics and transmission. When it cools off, everything works again. I've changed the filters, fluid, and cleaned the sump screen. Any idea whats causing it?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to YT
Since trans stops operating I'm going to guess that the low pressure trans pump circuit has an internal leak or worn trans pump. A very large high pressure internal could cause same problem. JD closed center hyd system such as your 300 has require "good diagnostics" to determine the problem. Check hyd filter relief valve(keys18-20) to be sure it's not stuck open. Check trans pump output by removing hyd filter cover with drain pan underneath then operate engine for 15 seconds to check pump output.

I also suggest to check temp of each external hyd component with a hand held laser thermometer.

Remember diagnostics-diagnostics- diagnostics Good Luck.

jcaldwell
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will do. I know everything I touch in the hyd system gets very hot when I've used the hoe for awhile. The steering column will burn my leg if I touch it.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering column o-rings have a long history of leaking causing hyd oil to heat & cause hyds to get sluggish. I suggest to acquire a JIC female cap then next time you need to operate backhoe disconnect steering supply line install female cap on main hyd line then see if hyd's operate cooler/better.

jcaldwell
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just so I understand, this would cap off the power steering? See if I can operate without power steering and see if it corrects the heating issue?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes capping power steering supply line then operating hyd's is a diagnostic step aka process of elimination.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 300 Hydraulics stop when hot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also time to make certain that there is no oil returning to the tractor from the loader or backhoe . When no function is selected.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters