Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cradle type round bale feeder

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjunrau
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The legs need to be taller for cattle. That is made for goats and sheep. Unless the pic is deceiving.
You can also ad to the top or they will pull it down and waste it anyway.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll have to take a picture. We sorted 10 smaller feeders out of 70 the other day and put them in with it. They'll weigh 800 pounds probably. So far, very little waste. I put a bale of third cutting in it and what's falling through, they're eating off the ground before it gets walked on. There's some on the ground inside the legs that they haven't reached for yet. If it goes like this when I get the weaned calves in there too, I think it'll be a success.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a picture of it with those cattle around it. If they get big enough that they can get in it, they need to be moved in to the finishing pen anyway.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've gotta tell you, I'm liking this thing. There's 40 of them in that pen now. When the wife and I went and bedded them yesterday afternoon and they had it emptied out, they had slid it on the skids and had cleaned up everything off the ground. For calves on concrete, I give it high marks. It sure beats the tar out of having a round feeder full of manure from them climbing in to it.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won't go into the why's but I modified a standard hoop (round) bale ring once and found out why they make them round.....not because the bale is round necessarily as I fed my bales lying on their side, just like the tractor dropped them on the ground. It's because when the cows make a sloppy, muddy, quagmire around the bale they just finished off, you can flip it up on it's side and ROLL it over to a new location. With that said, what you are talking about is of no value to me. I'd move on. Wink!

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got two feeders out in the field for the brood cows. I feed two bales a day. I use one feeder in the morning, the other in the afternoon. It gives the stragglers a chance to clean out the one feeder while the rest are crowded around the new bale. There's next to no waste that way and for some reason they don't seem to get frozen down. I'm thinking it's because there's no mat of hay there to keep them from sliding it by themselves.

gidtex
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone used a diller haysaver.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I Googled it. Pricey, but looks like it'd work OK as long as it's not built out of cheap junk.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I totally agree...the mat is your enemy. Best to avoid it by doing what we are talking about. I too ran multiple hoops for the same reason. You always have your lead (bully cows and for sure the bull earns his name) that run to the bale as soon as it's dumped but having two, it gives the little, timid ones, a chance to grab a bite and while chewing on that, being run off, it's ready to grab a bite out of the other one before being run off from that one.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed is that the area of the field where I used to feed has had some bodacious growth over the years from the feeding remnant influence. Other thing, on leased land, when I ran rolls of Coastal Bermuda, normally you have to sprig it to get a stand, but everywhere I fed a roll, poor , neglected soil no less, I had a patch of it occur as a result.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters