Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A Massey 14 rebuild

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Things were going along well, and then, I found a paint I liked better for the chassis. The Van Sickel Massey Ferguson Gary, just didn't look good to me. soooooo

I repainted it. This is a dark metallic gray. I am not a good painter anyway, and metallic paint presents its own challenges. I did not strip the chassis down completely. I covered what I had to, painted what I could, the best I could. The weather turned bad, so I had to do this in my garage. I once swore I would never do that again, but.........

Now I am waiting on a few small parts, and some decals. I am picking up the tin work this afternoon. The tractor probably will not be done tomorrow, as I doubt all the parts will be here, but it is getting closer.

LawnCub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It’s looking really good to me. Keep up the great work.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I screwed up. I had my nephew paint the tin for this tractor. He used automotive type paint. Two coats of red, and a clear coat. It looks so good, I am going to have to have my other Massey repainted.

LawnCub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That does look good!!

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks very good.
The recent pics look like just out of the shipping crate at the dealer.
And final assembly before going out to the show room floor 45 years ago.
:D

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have literally been waiting weeks for these tail lights to arrive. The original tail lights are still available Here Make sure you are sitting down when you look them up, and be willing to wait. I didn't want to post final pics, until the tractor was done. I do have a new starter coming, and another little doodad, and I will post more pics later. For now, this is what I got. As with everything I do, it's not perfect, and I aint gonna win any blue ribbons at the county fair, but I am happy with it.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cost of rebuilding a garden tractor

Cost of tractor........................$350
Paint and media blasting........$500
Spray paint...............................$50
Head lights...............................$26
Tail lights..................................$80
Wiring & supplies.......................$5
Battery & cables........................$70
Seat............................................$80
Decals........................................$70
Carburetor..................................$80
Starter.......................................$150
Fuel pump..................................$70
Oil & filters................................$70
Degreaser sandpaper cleaning...$50
Coil............................................$70
Ignition switch...........................$15
Tires.........................................$170
Condenser...................................,.$8
Front grill mesh...........................$40
PTO switch..................................$25
Ammeter......................................$15
Misc. I forgot...............................$50

TOTAL......................................$2144

Satisfaction......................PRICELESS

Keep in mind this is my cost of rebuilding the tractor, the way I wanted to do it. There are things I probably did not have to buy, I just wanted them.
The starter worked fine, but the teeth on the bendix did not look good to me.
The condenser was rusty, crusty, and wrapped with electrical tape and I just didn't like it.
It had a 3 position ignition switch. The lights were on any time the tractor was on. It is suppose to be 4 position.
PTO switch worked, but I wanted a new one.
Coil was probably ok, again, I wanted a new one.
I had someone offer me a free seat. It was yellow. I thought that would be sacrilegious.
I bought several cans of spray paint, just to try the color, did not like them.
Tires? What can I say? They are just cool.
There are things I probably could have gotten cheaper, if I searched the net a bit more. I am not one to spend a lot of time searching to save 10 bucks.
I could have painted the tractor myself, like my other 14, but not with these results. It really looks nice. IMHO

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of pics HERE

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters