Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oil Level Rising on Cub Cadet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Oil Level Rising on Cub Cadet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I check the oil level in my 3206 Cub every time I use it.
The last couple of times, the level appeared to increase just a little each time. I didn't think too much of it......thought it might not have been sitting quite level.
The last time I used it, it stalled and would not start. Turns out, the fuel pump was not working.
This tractor has the Kohler Command 20 HP engine and the fuel pump is located on top of one of the valve covers and apparently is powered by a rocker arm.
I haven't taken it apart yet but after doing a little research, I found that this is not an uncommon problem with these engines. The diaphragm fails and gasoline leaks directly into the engine.
I guess having the tractor stall was the best thing that could have happened.
So, if you have a Kohler engine with this type of fuel pump and you notice the oil level creeping up, expect to be replacing the fuel pump. Apparently, a replacement diaphragm is not available and a new pump, including a new valve cover is the alternative.
An OEM piece is about $78. I chose to take a chance on an aftermarket unit for about $25.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Level Rising on Cub Cadet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simple way to test for gas in the oil is pull the dipstick if it has one and move away from the machine and see if you can light the oil on the dipstick. If it lights easy it has ga in it if it lights hard no gas

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Level Rising on Cub Cadet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a bad design, but it's probably a little safer than an electric. If there ever were a fire with an electric fuel pump
it would keep pumping after the engine quits. Myself, I would put an electric on it, they can be had for about $10. I think it
would give quicker starts, just turn the key on, wait 5 seconds, and start it.

Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Level Rising on Cub Cadet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Taryl Dactal has a YouTube video on how to change to a B&S vacuum operated fuel pump for about 10 bucks.
He guts the original fuel pump, closes off one of the ports and uses the other port for vacuum to operate the new pump.
Pretty clever idea but I'm going with the aftermarket original style.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters