Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly in tx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 3020 is an early model (1964). It has the original couplers on the rear. I have the tapered, ball nose male couplings, BUT either they won't go in OR they pull loose too easily.
Does anyone have any pictures of how they should be connected (and disconnected) OR can anyone explain the starting/ending position of the lever underneath and/or the forward/back position of the tractor's female coupler?
FYI several years ago I bought some "converters". BUT if I put the converter into the tractor I can't hook on a non-tapered, ball end hose OR if I couple the converter to the hose first, I can't get it to attach into the tractor. Grrrr. kelly

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In order to insert JD male tips one needs to have lever under the bottom of receptacle aimed towards rear of tractor & barrels that male tip fits in slide towards rear of tractor. Once male tip has been inserted into barrel turn lever 90°.

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First of all, do the barrels move reasonably easily for and aft?

Move the barrels rearward.

Start with the levers underneath facing rearward, plug in the coupler tips, then flip the left lever to the left and the right lever to the right to open the ball poppets and let oil flow.

If plate (Key #35) is worn, damaged, or missing the couplers can pull out more easily than they should.

SHALER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I was experiencing the issue you are Kelly, I would start by having the tractor turned off and not running. My procedure for my '64 3020 as I am standing behind tractor facing the remote coupler: move left lever 90 degrees to the left, and move right lever 90 degrees to the right. Then return the levers 90 degrees back to their original positions (pointing right at you). This releases any back pressure in the coupler. Then reach behind each coupler barrel (you called it 'female coupler") and move it towards you all the way if it is not there already. Insert male tip in to coupler, pushing barrel forward or away from you. Then move lever 90 degrees again , locking the male tip in to the coupler. If this does not work or solve your issue, I would guess there is something mechanically wrong with your coupler. While not impossible by any means, I have found out its easier to hook up and disconnect hoses while tractor is turned off.

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can replace item #35 pictured above with part number R61957 from a 4440 to help keep levers locked. Will have to pull out the roll pins that #35 uses.

Kelly in tx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks shaler, wore out, matthies, Tx Jim - I was able to chisel plow all afternoon. I thought the couplers on the hoses pulled out too easy but they never came unhooked once! Sure wish somebody would buy that ol 3020! 😁

Fordy20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The coupler on the right is in the release position with the barrel protruding out of the housing and the lever pointed towards the camera. With the coupler in that position, push the hydraulic hose coupling in as far as you can and rotate the lever like is shown on the left side which will retract and lock the coupler in. John Deere couplers are the same except the lever is a little different.

miangus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found cleaning the barrels with a spray oil or solvent helps. You can reach behind the barrel and force it rearward towards you, the lever will then point towards you. Turn it back and forth several times until it works freely. When you insert a tip the barrel will move inward towards the tractor and the lever will turn parallel to the barrel. The barrel should be fully out towards you before inserting a tip. I usually end by soaking the entire assembly with the spray lube at hand.

Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Hydraulic Coupler Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don’t turn the tractor off, I pull the control handle down into float position. Takes the pressure off immediately.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters