Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cutting the PTO Shaft

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, my PTO shaft only moves about 3/4 inch with prying and then stops hard... I have the monkey bar front loader that is in the way of getting a sawzall in the inspection cover hole to cut the shaft.. Has anybody used one of the vibratory tools with a metal blade to cut the shaft?

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won't work. They'll cut through nails and such, but don't have the blade to cut through something like PTO shaft.

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess I will have to see if I can find a smaller sawzall and/or find a way to lift the back of the front loader to get more room..

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might give one of these body saws a try... Smaller reciprocating saw that the big bulky sawzall...

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a bunch of blades on hand. They wear out fast. It'll take some time but it might just work.

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot about extended reach air driven cutoff tools.. I picked up a cheap one at Harbor Freight with the 3 inch wheel.. I figured a 4 inch wouldn't fit and I was right.. The 3 inch gave me just enough room to work with it.. I laid over the back of the tractor (top cover is off) and put the cutoff tool in from the right side (dipstick) inspection port (I am right handed).. It took me about an hour and a half to get through it but it only used up about half of the first wheel. The 3 inch Harbor Freight tool was a little under powered so that was one reason it was slow going.. Just had to keep patient and work with it. I have a big 80 gallon twin cylinder compressor and it had to cycle quite a number of times..

Next up is to drop the pump and clean/rebuild as needed. It looks like it has been done in recent past as clean as it looks...

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thought I would follow up with a pic of the extended cutoff tool I used in case anyone needs to have a visual... As I mentioned above, it works pretty good but is a bit slow....

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will need to cut the twisted PTO shaft both in front of and behind the pump in order to remove the pump.

Remove both the lift cover and the transmission top cover and torch it off.

BTDT.

Dean

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know that.. I hadn't seen that anywhere.. I guess I thought the PTO shaft stopped just in front of the pump... Back to the drawing boards.. Will put the transmission cover and have a look see there.. I will go back and try to find a cutaway view of the tractor gears and shafts...

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:27:08 10/16/20) You will need to cut the twisted PTO shaft both in front of and behind the pump in order to remove the pump.

Remove both the lift cover and the transmission top cover and torch it off.

BTDT.

Dean
why the transmission cover?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been 35 years and I do not remember.

Dean

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it... It was really only the hydraulic top cover that needed to come off and I already had that off for the rebuild of the lift mechanisms... I found a bit more info on cutting the shaft and studied a bunch of the assemblydrawings.. I see what was meant about cutting it in front of the pump.. At this point, I don't know what was holding it but according to an old thread, Zane seemed to infer that it might come out without cutting in front of the pump, just behind them pump like I have already done.. Anyway, I will start by trying to pull the pump and if it won't come out, I will look at cutting in front of the pump... Looks like the pump needs to move back a little anyway to cut in front....

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Orion231 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:24:19 10/16/20) Got it... It was really only the hydraulic top cover that needed to come off and I already had that off for the rebuild of the lift mechanisms... I found a bit more info on cutting the shaft and studied a bunch of the assemblydrawings.. I see what was meant about cutting it in front of the pump.. At this point, I don't know what was holding it but according to an old thread, Zane seemed to infer that it might come out without cutting in front of the pump, just behind them pump like I have already done.. Anyway, I will start by trying to pull the pump and if it won't come out, I will look at cutting in front of the pump... Looks like the pump needs to move back a little anyway to cut in front....
This from Wild Horse post ~2009:
Generally the twist is ahead of hyd pump where PTO coupler slips over shaft. This twist keeps the shaft from sliding reward through the hyd pump splines. Due to close spacing of pump to PTO coupler, you can't access shaft ahead of pump to cut it, so you have to cut it aft of pump and remove the pump with the cut off piece of shaft still in it. Then once out of tractor, cut it again in front of pump, but aft of twist, so that you can then remove the cut off piece out the rear of pump. Often, if not always, the pump still will not come out with the length of shaft sticking out the front, so then the tractor must be split and then cut the shaft (front of pump), with torch or saws-all once drive shaft removed to allow saw access. Save removing top cover, by grinding splines away, since no saw access needed with spline grinding approach.

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I checked it out more tonight. It got dark too early to see if I could get the pump out but I was able to move the pto shift rail back and forth easy so with it forward I assume the coupler is disengaged from the remaining piece of PTO shaft in front of the pump. I guess that is one piece of good news.. Tomorrow I try to pull the pump out and see how far I get with that...

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed.

I had the transmission cover off when I did my 51, apparently for a different reason. Cannot recall.

It was necessary to remove the PTO engagement mechanism in order to remove the pump after torching the PTO shaft aft.

After pump removed, could not remove PTO shaft stub from pump so cut PTO shaft in front of pump, tapered both ends a bit with an angle grinder, and drove it out with a 12 Lb. sledge on a hedge stump. Took
best part of an hour. I expected the hammering to destroy the pump but nothing to loose at that point and, being properly backed up, it did not hurt it.

Not a fun project and will not do it again.

Dean

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters