Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8n axle interchange or other such problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flameeater
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: 8n axle interchange or other such problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a strange one. I went to do a brake job on my 8n, which is not in the best shape, but it works (it has spent the last several years at my fathers and he has been using it). I decided to change the outer seals since I was going to be there anyway, and I wanted to make the most out of it. Only then did I realize that instead of the 2in nut, there was a castle nut, and it had been welded.

Ordered a proper 2in nut, ground off the welds, and split the nut to get it off. Managed to save the threads, but the shaft is too small for the "correct" nut, at least on that side (left). Nut fits fine on the other side's exposed threads.

Took the nut around to hardware stores, Fastnal, and tractor supply, but no one carries anything to replace it with. The closest was a 1-8 bolt from tractor supply that I could thread it on, but when I got the corresponding nut and washers home, they wound up being slightly too small.

The threads look factory as far as I can tell. This axle seems to otherwise be just fine. Could someone have shoved in a interchangeable axle from a different tractor? Were replacements made with smaller threading? Any info would help.

I suppose I could just replace the axle, but other than no friction material left on the brakes, there is nothing really wrong with it. Any ideas, or suggestions? Thanks!

Lynn Patrick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 8n axle interchange or other such problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those threads can really wear down! You may want to look at the "Ford 8N Axle Nut, Clamp Lock Type" on this site, part #Part No: LN10-21.

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 8n axle interchange or other such problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Threads got wore/stripped took to machine shop, cut new threads. Seen more that once, Last farm sale at both sides were done that way on 8N with bunch of washers and hubs still loose.

flameeater
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 8n axle interchange or other such problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds about right. If I go with changing the axle, what all will I need? I already have inner and outer seals (because I didn't do my research to know I wouldn't need inners). I know there is a bearing that goes on the axle, will I be able to reuse the one I have if it is still in good shape, or would it need to be replaced as well?

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 8n axle interchange or other such problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Besides new axle , new hub if old is anywhere close to end of axle splines. Cork seal on axle, new washer if dont have and new nut with lock wire.

flameeater
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 8n axle interchange or other such problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good deal, sounds like I pretty much have everything aside from the axle then. I was mainly concerned about that bearing. Are they a bear to swap from one axle to the next?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters