Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Metal cutting saw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfullmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do the metal cutting skil saws cut 1/4 thick flat stock very well ? Need to rip a 16 inch piece of 6 inch flat ?

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Assuming you mean the circular saws made for metal? If so, yes. They work very well. Loud, but they cut like butter.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are going to do very much metal cutting you probably should buy a cheap saw with a metal guard. Metal cutting is hard on a saw and one with a plastic guard the sparks will burn right through it. As far as ripping steel I prefer to use a table saw for that.

Frank(Mi.)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As already stated the special saws made for metal are very good. I bought one of the blades from Amazon for my circular saw that was made for metal/steel and it cut through quarter inch steel just like cutting through plywood. You definitely need face sheild or goggles and ear protectors when using it...

rockgrower
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They cut fine, the hard part will be finding a way to hold your material solid and still be able to have your saw ride flat on the piece that you are cutting. That is if I understand correctly and you are starting with a 6" piece. If you are ripping a 6" piece off of a larger piece, then it should be no problem.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As MJMJ said, they work quite well. You need to pay closer attention than when cutting wood, and I also use my chainsaw helmet with face shield and hearing protectors. The metal chips fly freely, so BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EYES! If you're sawing outside or have animals/kids in your shop, then I'd also recommend laying down as large a tarp as you have room for (for fast clean-up), or connect to a dry vac.

One last thing -- when cutting wood, one essentially lets the saw do the work. It has been my experience that the metal cutting blades do need a little more push than wood blades. Just be sure not to feed too fast into the metal, but also not too slow. Going too slow causes excessive and unnecessary heat buildup within the carbide teeth.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bfullmer; If you won't be cutting enough steel flat stock in the future to justify the expense of a metal cutting saw or even just the blade, you might consider using a cutting disc on an angle grinder. Your question didn't make it clear how much cutting you need to do, but if it's just one 16" cut, more or less, I can assure you that you can make the cut with no more than two cutting discs, and probably only one. You have to make multiple passes, but only the first one has to be precise (meaning you have to do it carefully). Subsequent passes ride in the groove of the first one. It's very easy. The amount of time setup would take depends your individual situation, but a 16" cut in 1/4" steel would take five minutes or less. Watch a YouTube video about it to see how easy it is.

Stan

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 Mlwaukee metal cutting saws. With a new blade they will cut 1/4 in plate about like cutting 5/8 in plywood with a regular skilsaw. I have cut 1 in plate with mine and cut 3/8 and 1/2 all the time. They have cut my Acet and oxygen bill in half.

Farmer Rock
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local welding shop sells professional grade metal saws,and the owner told me that the demo for saw when he was introducing them in store,was cutting 800 yards of 3/8 steel plate with only 1 blade.I was shocked by that,but I have no reason not to believe him..of course those are some heavy duty saws and blades,but I see no reason why a consumer saw wouldn't cut 1/4 flat stock.

Rock

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Second the Milwaukee's. They do cut.

Jim in N.M.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Milwaukee metal cutting saw and it works great! The saw motor turns a little slower than a regular wood cutting saw. The only downside is It's a little pricy to be sitting on the shelf, but when you need it it's good to have! Jim in N.M.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal cutting saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your still pondering I cut one 2"X 4" X 24' 1/8" square tube and 2 24" 2"X 2" 1/8" square tube to build my new horse stalls. I used 1/16"X 7" abrasive discs in my 7 1/4 power saw. I could one side 24' long with one disc for about 6 bucks each.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters