Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to know how to wire a pony motor to make it electric start. I have a pony starter but need a diagram on how to wire it. Also have a Starter switch. Thank
you

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

all my Cat pony motor starters have a solenoid that trips and feeds power to the starter---a push button feeds power to trip the solenoid

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What series tractor is it ? Fairly simple arrangement on all these that had starting engines.

MeanGene1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, they have very rudimentary wiring, as there is a mag and no need for ignition, just the kill switch. If I was starting from scratch and all the starter wiring was missing, I think I would just use an inexpensive Ford solenoid that is simple as a rock to wire, with a push button to start- you could even add a hidden master switch for a small bit of security

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you considering putting a charging system on your tractor or has it got a generator on now,has it got lights that you will want working or do you want just the starter only,usually the parts book would show the wiring circuit if it was an option at the time the tractor was new,originally they were six volt what are you planning to use.
AJ

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not concerned about installing generator only want to start the pony motor. Right now I have to crank start or electric start by using jumper cables. I have no other electric needs so a battery will last quite a while and then put the charger on it.
I need diagram from battery to push button to starter and solenoid. Or a picture of what someone has already done it. Thank you.

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a basic start circuit which you seem to be asking for.

[/img:0b169ca39f]

D7fever
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: D7 CAT wiring pony motor to electric start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my D7 , older one, the starter drive is manually engaged , and at the same time engages the electric to drive the starter motor. All you need is a ground and a hot wire to the starter switch.
I use jumper cables on mine.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters