Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

77 Governor Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: 77 Governor Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked a few days ago about my 77 surging all the time. Today I took time to mess with it, as suggested, I lengthened the rod to the carb. It took 6 full turns before it settled down and ran good. It's blocked in the shed by the 880 that I'm waiting on parts for so I couldn't get it out and drive it, but it was getting warmed up pretty good, so I think I got it. What I don't understand, it ran fine for years.When it started surging, I adjusted the screw on the front of the governor housing and cured it for a while and then it started surging again. Lengthening the rod cured it. How did it run good before and now the only cure was to lengthen the rod to the carb that had been in the same position for years? I'm cornfused. Thanks for the help, Chris

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Governor Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you happen to remove the carb in that time.

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Governor Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or did you rebuild the carb and replace the throttle shaft? They are not all equal and sometimes need to be readjusted as you did.
One of the things governors don't like linkages that are wore. A common repair is to weld the holes shut and drill them back to
size. Also using a torch build up the rods were they connect with the arms. Weld and hand file and weld and hand file. Best done on
a winter day when things are slow.

RCP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Governor Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you haven't changed anything externally, I would be thinking about the inside of the governor or the bushing in the block that holds the governor. There are wear points that will change the positioning of the governor rod.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Governor Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't had the carb off and the linkage all seems to be nice and snug. Maybe someday when I'm in the mood I'll take the governor out and check it for wear. Thanks, Chris

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters