Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall H No Charge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old Farmall H setting for some years. Had to clean carb good, new gas ethanol free, new battery, points, condenser, wires, and plugs, runs good but charging system k-put. All 6V as off the floor new.

Not too versed on generators and voltage regulators. No idea where to start. Would appreciate some "here and where" to start. Thanks folks and I for one am well pleased with this forum.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with engine off polarize the gen then with engine running use a jumper wire to the field on the gen to ground if
that makes it charge the reg is bad if it does not charge the genis bad or you have a bad ground even he lite sw
need to have a good ground

Sparky70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Gene, appreciate the post. Would you please explain how you would polarize the gen. 6v positive ground. Thanks

Sparky70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does this sound correct:
To polarize a generator on a tractor having a Delco 6V positive ground system or a Lucas 6V or 12V positive ground system, attach one clip to the A terminal on the generator. With the other clip, briefly for only a split-second (or a spark occurs) tap the negative ( - ) terminal on the battery. To polarize a generator on a tractor having a Delco 12V negative ground system, attach one clip to the A terminal

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully John T will chime in or someone that has the info will post a link to his Charging system testing posts. This would have every thing you would need to know
about generators on engines.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sparky, if you work through my Troubleshooting Procedure it can help you diagnose the cause of non charging and how to determine if its a
Generator or a Voltage Regulation or wiring or ground problem etc

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=2060825

John T
John Ts Charging Troubleshooting

Sparky70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That should do it, thanks to all that replied. Suffice to say I have some work to do. No plans to convert to 12v, it starts fine of 6V when battery fully charged, just gotta get it charging again

big thank you

TedinNE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No sure how old your H is. If it had the cutout with the hi lo charge on the light switch. Make sure the cover surface to the box is clean. It has to ground from the cover to the box.

Sparky70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H No Charge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John T, very professionally accomplished. I read and reread, never really understood how to trouble shoot 6v charge system.

So, if I understand correctly first order of business is to verify amp meter. I will:

1) see if meter deflects if I switch on ignition and/or lights

2) if not, take my meter and verify presence battery on BOTH amp meter terminals.

To polarize gen:

flash jump a hot wire starter post direct to the Gens ARM post to get the spark.

This H was charging when parked, inside approx 5 years ago. No battery installed. I just installed new 6V.

I know I can put my meter on the battery with tractor running and should read 7 + volts if charging. But if I just want to very gen out put where do I connect my meter on the gen?

If it is there I missed it, but dont I need to polarize VR?

Thanks a ton for help,SPary

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters