Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Working on getting a ford 4500 back to life and wondering if others out there that have one can answer a question for me about the hole I see in the air cleaner hose to the intake. Seems like it should not be there. What do you think? Image is here

frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I cannot upload the image I keep getting error

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New users aren't allowed to post pictures until they have around 10 or so posts. It keeps spammers from flooding the site with advertisement pictures. While you're working up to enough posts to allow you to post your pictures, is it a diesel or a gas engine? Later diesel tractors had an air filter sensor that sensed via the strength of the vavuum in the intake when the filter needed to be serviced. Perhaps a previous owner installed one of those ?

frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:59:44 10/16/20) New users aren't allowed to post pictures until they have around 10 or so posts. It keeps spammers from flooding the site with advertisement pictures. While you're working up to enough posts to allow you to post your pictures, is it a diesel or a gas engine? Later diesel tractors had an air filter sensor that sensed via the strength of the vavuum in the intake when the filter needed to be serviced. Perhaps a previous owner installed one of those ?

Ok pictures soon, thank you. This is a 1972 diesel tractor. Think I should replace the hose without the hole? I know the instrument panel does not have a gauge or indicator light for air sensor. Also I just installed both air filters. Is there any other good reason to leave a hole in that hose? Seems bad to me to allow whatever wants to enter that hole to make its way right into the motor unfiltered. What do you think?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 4500 never had a sensor stock. Some later models had a simple mechanical indicator that was installed into a hole in the intake that would move a piece inside a clear housing when the vacuum got too high and it would show red, which indicated the filter needed to be serviced. You had to open the hood and look at the sensor to see it. Lots of folks added third party sensors to older tractors once they became popular. I was just guessing that a previous owner added one at some point and then later it fell out and wasn't replaced.

Then later at some point Ford started using an electrical switch type of sensor that was hooked to an indicator light on the instrument panel.

If it's a nice round hole I would just find something to plug it or wrap it with some tape. If it's a jagged hole that doesn't look like it can be sealed easily then replace the hose. In any event you don't want the engine sucking dirt in through the hole.

frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you

pomester
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

possibly put there so to give the engine a shot of ether.

frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good point. Maybe a plug will be best.

frankinri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replace that hose. Plug as a plastic plug wont last long, Duct tape is temp fix. That hole lets in more air than goes thru filter along with plenty of dirt.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replace the hose, there's a lot of dust and dirt comes off the fan in that area that can get sucked into the engine through that hole.
Who ever made that hole wasn't vert smart.

I've got a industrial model to rebuild because someone tried to duct tape a bad spot in that hose, sucked the engine full of dust and eat the rings up.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with air cleaner hose ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're lucky. Lusted for a 3000 for years. Finally a '65 shows up going to work one morning, 5700 give or take hours, rough service....hole worn in metal
clutch pedal, nodules worn off brake pedals, you could tell tin had the dents banged out and some wanna-be painter exhausted a couple of rattle cans of
Ford blue at it, to give you and idea as to usage.

April in Texas....salesman had to use ether to get it to light off. Being a novice, and missing the fact that THE AIR CLEANER TO INTAKE MANIFOLD RUBBER
HOSE WASN'T THERE......I forked over $3950, another $500 on starter, 925 CCA sealed battery, and new cables, 00 at that, and finally met my maker.
Realized that it had to be that my compression wasn't adequate. I did an inframe, another $1000 machine work on the head and pistons, rings and other
necessities, and then another $750 for rubber all around and finally got something worth having. That was probably 30 years ago and just had the injector
pump go out...first problem in all that time, did put brake shoes on it. Got it fixed for less than $400. Turned out to be a good deal after all.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters