Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to drop the pan and take a looksee at the oil pump. My oil pressure readings are a little low and I suspect the pump screen is clogged or the pump is worn out or the relief valve is funky. Either way I need to get the pan off. I read in the book to take the small bolts out (like a car or truck oil pan) then simply carefully drop it. However, this doesn't look to be the case on my tractor. I circled the bigger nuts and bolts. I assume those have to come off or out. The front are nuts and the bolts seems to be part of the inner pan? How did I get this pan off?
Also it looks like the wire is missing from my oil sending unit. The warning light wire. Doesn't anyone know what color white goes on there from the loom?
thanks

greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wire is white/brown tracer. Them 2 nuts along with 4 bolts on top along with steering rod and radius rods. Drain rad pull hoses. If has front mounted hyd pump itll have to come along with dropping one end or the other of loader and moving forward about 4 inches. Missed some other misc items but that give you a start.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't help ya on the pan removal.

The color of wire will be the same as the wire going to the warning light...lol

my 3500 diesel had a white wire with either a red or brown stripe.....kinda hard to tell in my pic

greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so basically that front part of the tractor has to move forward past the bolts in order to get to the smaller bolts on the pan? A little more involved than I had originally thought

greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My warning light is not hooked up. It is basically a rats nest in there. Some of it I have wrangled some of it I have not

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You basically have to do a front split.
If you have a way to support it, ie a hoist
or rafters, you can pull the whole bolster
and axle forward about 3" and leave the nose
and radiator attached. There are two big
bolts that attach the pan to the
transmission that must come out, then the
pan bolts.
Pan weighs about 80 lbs so use a floor jack
to lower it.
On reassembly, don't use the cork type pan
gasket. Use the thin paper type.

greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am kicking around the idea of doing the rings while I am in there. Seems like a lot of work to get the pan off.
The cylinders were in great shape when I recently had the head off. The compression on this rig is a little low. Still within spec but on the low side. The #1 cylinder has some ring blow by. On my leak down test it showed 15 % so thats that.
Anyone ever do the 3000 gasser rings without pulling the motor?
Any ideas, concerns or thoughts would be nice.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't remember if your engine is a diesel
or a gasser.
A ring job used to be fairly commonplace.
I have done it a few times. Volksies, Volvo,
Honda Civic etc. It is a poor man's way of
getting a few more miles out of a tired
engine. Say maybe 25% of the miles of a bore
and re piston which is plenty of life for
most of us hobbiests.
I did it on a 3000 12? Years ago. Reamed the
ridge, new rings and rod bearings. I just
lapped the valves.
I ran that engine for about 3 years then
found a NEW engine for my tractor so I just
replaced it. Traded my old engine to a
friend of mine and he ran it for a couple
more years then sold the tractor.
Looking at parts prices on this site a guy
can do an inframe on a 3 cyl gasser for
about $200 with gaskets.
My rod journals were in spec which is a big
part of the equation.

greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a gas tractor
the 25% is about all I need. Putting 1500 into the motor and all the labor (me) is hard to justify in this old tractor. I use it very little. Hopefully a new set of rings will give it a bit longer to live.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've rebuilt a number of these engines over the years and have only had to have 2 cranks ground, crankshaft wear is something you don't have issues with on these engines.
I have had to replace a few rods due to the piston pin hole egg shaping or not holding a bushing.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've rebuilt a number of these engines over the years and have only had to have 2 cranks ground, crankshaft wear is something you don't have issues with on these engines.
I have had to replace a few rods due to the piston pin hole egg shaping or not holding a bushing.

greymond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully there isn't too much internal wear. The biggest PITA looks to be the dropping of the oil pan. Right now I am working in the dirt driveway until my garage is finished. The ETA on the garage is 4 months due to permitting. So pulling the pan in the dirt is going to be fun!
I might post up some of the work to help anyone out who might be considering this. I talked with a machinist at the shop I work at this morning and he said it is quite common to do an "in rig overhaul" on these and similar tractors. He said he has done quite a few like mine.

Tireguy2
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="greymond"](quoted from post at 12:53:29 04/24/18)

Greymond: Any updates on your dropping the oil pan on your 3400? I assume you finished by now or gave up. Did you have to remove any part of the front end or did you just use longer bolts and slide everything forward? I am preparing to do similar job. Any step-by-step description of the job would be helpful as I prepare to start.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: time to drop the oil pan on a 66 Ford 3400 gasser. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two front bolts are studs and can be screwed out of the pan, the two back bolts will pull out to the rear.
You can loosen the four bolts that hold the bolster to the block enough to allow a little separation for easier pan removal in installation.
As said prier that pans weighs around 80 lbs so use a floor jack to remove and install.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters