Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wheel spindles (not wheel axles) have three spring washers on the top under the nut used to control bearing preload. Does anyone know the preload setting on these? Thanks..

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No but I would do them same preload as on trailer spindle bearings

In fact that is likely the same bearing as used for trailer hubs.
My mowers blade spindle use 1" trailer axle bearings.

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ziffel wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:01:59 12/19/20) The wheel spindles (not wheel axles) have three spring washers on the top under the nut used to control bearing preload. Does anyone know the preload setting on these? Thanks..

I would ASSUME you snug them up enough to prevent the caster wheels from "fluttering" "at speed".

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NOT blade spindles. Spindles for castor wheels on front of deck.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ziffel wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:52:09 12/20/20) NOT blade spindles. Spindles for castor wheels on front of deck.

Yes, I was just mentioning that my blade spindle bearings use regular trailer hub bearings.

On yours since there is a call for preload they are evidently taper rollers with seperate races.
So preload them like you would for a trailer bearing.

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:15:14 12/20/20)
CVPost-ziffel wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:52:09 12/20/20) NOT blade spindles. Spindles for castor wheels on front of deck.

Yes, I was just mentioning that my blade spindle bearings use regular trailer hub bearings.

On yours since there is a call for preload they are evidently taper rollers with seperate races.
So preload them like you would for a trailer bearing.

"So preload them like you would for a trailer bearing."

You PRELOAD trailer bearings?

Bearing manufacturers typical recommend several thousandths of PLAY, NOT "preload".

"Final Castle Nut Adjustment:

To make sure the hub is seated properly, back off the castle nut until it is loose.
Then tighten the castle nut snugly until it stops.
Look to see where the cotter pin hole lines up with one of the notches on the nut.
On hubs that use the tang washer or cage to lock the nut, you will have to do this by sight.
Then back the nut off one notch, so that the cotter pin will fit through the castle nut.
Install the cotter pin and then spin and rock the hub.
When you rock the hub you should feel the hub barely moving front to back.
Try experimenting by loosening the castle nut one more notch to feel the difference in the play in the hub.
Then install the wheel and rock the hub again.
On the outside edge of the tire, the movement should not be more than 1/4" inch.
Any play should be barely noticeable.
When you are satisfied with the adjustment, secure the cotter pin.
Push the pin through the hole on the end of the spindle and through the notches on the nut.
Then split the bottom of the pin to the left and right.

This quote is from "etrailer.com".

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With new bearings on trailer, I certainly run them a tad bit more snug then 1/4" of wobble. More like half that.
And never had any run so hot that you cant keep your hand on the hub.

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These castor wheel spindles have three "spring washers" under the retaining nut. They are concave (not flat) and are stacked opposite of each other. First one down, next up and last one down. The book shows how to install but not the amount of "preload" Because the retaining nut is a "lock" type a torque wrench is not used. The setting would be something like "zero" lash plus a part of an additional turn of the nut. If too tight and they are crushed, break up, and pieces work down into the upper bearing causing damage. If too loose they fail to keep the upper bearing seated into the upper race. I have an owners manual but not a service manual. Anyone have one I could download. I have a 52" front mount. Take care and stay safe.

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my experience with belleville washers, they rarely crush and break up. Of course I'm sure it depends on the quality of the washer.

I have a five foot brush hog that uses bellevilles in the slip clutch. The adjustment on those are, tighten until flat then back off X amount.

If I were in your situation, I would tighten them until they are half way collapsed.

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a crushed one in the tail wheel. That's why I am trying to find adjustment info. Thanks for your note. Stay safe. Merry Xmas

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Grasshopper Front Wheel Spindles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got to talk to the head mechanic at Grasshopper. Very "low tech" method of setting preload. After cleaning, replacing parts as needed, fresh grease and reassembling, raise the deck to an upright position. Tighten top nut until the caster and wheel assembly stay in a 90 degree position. In small increments loosen top nut until wheel and spindle assembly rotate slowly downward. That's it. I expected a more sophisticated process. Stay safe and Merry Christmas

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters