Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

hydraulic oil level on Jet Star

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatheads & vacuum tu
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: hydraulic oil level on Jet Star Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My MM manuals cover the 4-Star and Jet Star, and apparently there are some differences in the hydraulic system which are not shown

The blue arrow in the

The blue arrow in the first image points to a filter which does not exist on my tractor.
The red arrow in the second image points to what might by a hydraulic fill point, replacing the filter? The green arrow points to an oil fill plate mentioned in the manual, but it does not state how full is full.
I assume that my hydraulic level is low as the pump growls when I use the aux. hyd.
So where do I add oil and to what level?

SWMolines
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: hydraulic oil level on Jet Star Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the plate off and fill to about 1" below the plate mounting surface.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: hydraulic oil level on Jet Star Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SWMolines wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:54:24 12/23/20) Take the plate off and fill to about 1" below the plate mounting surface.

I do the same on my M5. It don't take as long to fill as trying to get it in that little hole.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: hydraulic oil level on Jet Star Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brim full at that street elbow with the pipe plug in it. (red arrow) or you can take the rate/cycle lever plate off and put the oil in
there. (green arrow) About 1" to 1-1/4" below that plate. Just be sure to index the levers back in their slots in the control valve assembly
when you put it back on.

What are you running on the AUX ports? I am thinking there is only about 2 gallons or so in the reservoir. If you are using a single-acting
cylinder you may be using it all.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: hydraulic oil level on Jet Star Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The photo from the manual is an early system, pre 1961 I believe. Bottom picture which is the later system has the filter off to
the left side. Fill as was mentioned.

shinnery
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: hydraulic oil level on Jet Star Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Beginning somewhere about the M670s MM went to a fill arrangement that replaced the drain plug at the right rear of the oil reservoir. Remove the drain plug and replace with a close nipple pipe and tee, replace the plug in one end of the tee and about a six inch pipe in other end of the tee. My M670 has a dipstick in the pipe but on others I have changed i just eyeball the front of the reservoir and fill it mostly full, as MM wanted about an inch below the top of the reservoir. Then use a pipe cap to keep the dirt out.
Works for me but use at your option.
Bryce

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters