Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gibbs Penetrating oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjuran
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many of you guys use Gibbs on your tractor projects? How is or isn't comparable to WD-40?

diesel fumes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

seems pricey; have had very good luck using home brew ;50/50 acetone /atf mix

16-30 oilpull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use it on things that are real bad ,works good. And BTW almost anything is better than WD-40 as a penetrating oil. WD stand for water displacing. Just my opinion

mjuran
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So you just mix half and half acetone and tranny fluid? Do you use a squeeze bottle or will it flow in a oil squirt can? Im assuming you wouldn't want it near any painted surface with the acetone in the mixture

diesel fumes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use sure shot sprayers for my home brews and others

JoeM(GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WD doesn’t hold a candle to Gibbs, it’s not cheap, but works great

farmer52
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most people think WD40 is a penetrating oil - NOT. As mentioned the WD stands for water dispersant. It was developed as a protectant. Do a Google search on WD40. Anything is better than WD40. JMO

CKain(MI)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and, WD is not a good lubricant. too thin.

Dennis P
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’ve used every kind of snake oil there is and it mostly revolves around the situation. If really stuck, keep it soaked with the thinnest solvent you can find and then be patient. Some people swear by Coke. Some use acids. I’ve used carb cleaner to penetrate sometimes. Heat is the best thing as far as I’m concerned. After 40 years of doing this, I’ve settled on wd40 for a penetrant, it works as good as any. I will add, if I get it to move, Schaeffer’s Pentro 90 is a great lubricant. I just don’t believe that one type fits all situations.

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gibbs Penetrating oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stores here only carry BP Plaster and WD-40. WD-40 makes a gel lube also.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters