Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimSnyder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see that Deere offers a 160 degree and 180 degree thermostat for the early 3020's (https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/76112/referrer/navigation/pgId/106635) I need to replace mine. Thought I'd just replace it with the same as what was in there but the part number isn't a deere number and googling doesn't help (or I'm not using the right keywords). I see '19030 08' marked on the side of the one I took out.

Is it better to run the 3020 Diesel with 160 or 180?

My tractor is 30201T53329 engine 13E53512

706 Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your old one will open, try putting it in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer in the water and see what temp it Opens at? Might be a place to start.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it where me I'd use the 180 since it would help keep condensation out of the oil since the engine would warm up enough to turn it to steam and go out the breather

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you use the tractor for? I always thought a 3020 was a little short on cooling capacity. On a hard worker the 160 might be the better choice. On a chore tractor or light worker use a 180. Tom

TimSnyder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably what you would call a chore tractor. Dragging my arena, moving round bales, mowing 15ish acres. Maybe grinding some stumps.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PPe. 195F burns the fuel cleaner . Use HD diesel antifreeze and distilled , not tap water .

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stay is supposed to set the minimum temp , not the max temp .
Many cooling problems lead back to a worn coolant pump pulley , worn alternator pulley and worn crank pulley .
Extra tightening the belt to prevent slippage will ruin the alternator and coolant pump bearings .
Coolant pump and alternator pulleys along with the proper belt will solve many cooling problems for low cost .

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never overheated a 3020 unless the radiator was plugged completely with dirt

farmer52
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isn't the temperature stamped on the stat?

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-farmer52 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:50:31 01/07/21) Isn't the temperature stamped on the stat?

The opening temperature is not always stamped in them but often the temperature is stamped into the bottom of the copper pellet.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the stat has some time and use . The opening and closing temp maybe different than what is stamped on the pellet .

TimSnyder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. I tested the thermostat and the one I have is definitely a 180, or at least it is now. Couldn't see it open at all at 180 but raising the temp to 195, it was definitely open.

The only cooling problem I'm having right now is that when I rolled the tractor over on it's side, I popped a hole in the radiator cover. Rolling it over is a long story. I should probably post a "how not to load your tractor while trailering" in that section of the forum. I also haven't run the tractor enough to know whether there is more of a problem than that. :)

Since I have the radiator out to take it to a shop and have them look at fixing vs replacing it, and given the amount of sludge in the bottom hose and on top of the tstat, I figured that while I have it apart, I'd spend the $15 and put a new tstat in when I put it back together. I'm also going to replace the fan belt because it's there and looks somewhere between 10 and 20 years old.

TimSnyder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere can you elaborate on what you mean by 'worn pully' on the accessory and drive components on the fan belt? What should I look for? Play in the pully?
Slippage when I have the belt tightened to the recommended 1" deflection with 25lb pull? On a gas engine, I'd check slippage with a timing light. I suppose I could do
the same thing with a variable strobe light that I set to make the flywheel to hyrdo pump linkage look steady and see if the water pump or generator pullys look like
they are falling behind.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hotter the better, 180 is minimal.

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which tstat temperature to run in 3020 diesel? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim, what buickanddeere mean with the pulleys is when they are worn and many are worn badly the correct size belt will sit too far in the groove, it will not pull on the sides like its supposed to, it will drive off the bottom and it will either slip or youll need to over tighten it so much the water pump and alternator or generator bearings will suffer.

Sometimes you can jump up to the next larger section size to bandaid the issue. Other times the only way is to replace pulleys.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters