Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

D17 starving for gas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlrunyan82
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, 1st time here and looking for help. I have a D17 that seems to be starving for gas. I have replaced the plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap, rotor and put on a rebuilt carb. I have checked the
ignition to see if was firing, all good there. I have also cleaned the gas bowl, fuel is flowing. In the winter i put stabil in the gas tank as it does not get used as much. Any thoughts. I appreciate any
help.

Thank you

DrAllis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So lets prove you don't have a fuel starvation problem. Disconnect the gas line at the carb and attach a rubber hose (if you like) to the line. Turn on the gas at the sediment bowl and catch fuel in a 1 gallon milk jug. It must flow 5 gallons per hr or 1 gallon every 12 minutes at a minimum. If it can do that, connect the gas line to the carb and remove the drain plug from the bottom of the carb and retest. That tractor can burn 4 gallons per hr under full load, so it must be able to flow at least 5 GPH to keep up.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do it different then DR. does it but either way works. I remove the carb drain plug and use a pint jar. It should fill a pint jar in less then 3 minutes and 2 is even better.

By the way one should always trouble shoot then parts NEVER the other way around or you can add to your problems

dlrunyan82
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. All the parts (except carb) were replaced because it had been 5 years since replacement (this was in June 2020). The starving for gas problem started recently and the float was bad on the carb, so I assumed that was the problem, thus the rebuilt carb. The gas flows through drain plug. Filled pint jar in less than 3 min.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My D-17 hasn't have anything done to it in a decade and runs just fine. I may have replaced the points when I got it but since then nothing has been done to it and it just keep going. Same with all my other tractors and I have to many of them.

If your getting that good gas flow then the problem maybe a bad carb rebuild which I has seen many times in the past

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you replace all the electrical stuff chasing the problem? I'd keep putting condensers in till you find a good one.
AaronSEIA

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I'd buy another new one I would put the old one back in. Been decades since I have changed a condenser

funky_g00
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please give more details as to what is happening. Based on your reply saying that after this "starving for fuel" problem started you took the carb apart and found the float was bad. If the float was bad then the engine could not starve for fuel, if anything it would be constantly flooding out, because the float was not shutting the fuel off when needed. I assume you live somewhere that is reatively cold right now. I am guessing you are having a problem with the choke or in the case of my dad's D17, if the temp is below freezing he has to shield the carb from the draft caused by the cooling fan as it will cause the carb to ice up and not respond well.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No inline gas filter? Those will vapor lock from time to time when they warm up, but if you don't have one, that couldn't be the problem.

dlrunyan82
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I start the tractor it runs goods for like 10-15 minutes and then it starts jerking like it's starving for gas, it will do that for a bit and then run great for 10-15 mins., but it might not be a gas problem at all it might be something else that I replaced in June like maybe the condenser, plugs? It is cold here, buy the tractor has always started right up. I do put stabile in the gas tank for winter. Thanks

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does choking it when you have that problem hurt or help?? If it helps good chance it is a fuel problem. If it hurts maybe ignition. I have not replaced a condenser in over a decade due to having a 50/50 chance it will be bad right out of the box

luckey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my D-17. I always thought it was a carb problem until i realized it happened more when the tractor got hot. Believe it or not I found the coil to be defective. It always ran good when it was cold but when I started working it hard it would cut out and act the same way[quote="CVPost-o](replyld" to post at 15:33:53 01/09/21) [/quote]

funky_g00
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have something in the fuel tank. Have you ever cleaned or inspected it? If it keeps going thru cycles of running good to almost stalling out, it sounds like something is getting sucked down onto the sediment bowl inlet starving it for gas and once the engine stalls or gets close to it the suction is broken and gas is once again allowed to flow. This would especially be true if you can almost set a watch to it. Another possibility but not nearly as likely to be regularly reoccurring is a loose wire somewhere and you are intermittently losing spark with the odd engine vibration or random pothole.

dlrunyan82
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions. It turns out that the points and condensor are bad.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 starving for gas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is that a new condenser or and old one?? I have not changed a condenser on a tractor in over a decade and found you have a 50/50 chance the new one will be bad right out of the box

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters