Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Small Big squares!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHALER
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well folks, since the minimum wage will probably be about $16/hour soon, it got me thinking---I dont have the machinery or storage for those big "Big Square" bales of hay. Im not well versed in them, but is a common size like 3 x 3? I think there are 3 x 4's as well. Those are probably too big. What models, if any, have a bale chamber smaller than a 3 x 3? A small "big square" might have some potential. If they do indeed exist, I would prefer something built in this century, if anyone can identify a few models.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, the NH D1000 makes a 2x3 bale. I’ve heard they need some attention along the way tho.

Wonder if an accumulator and grapple and such wouldn’t keep your customers happy with small squares and reduce labor. Maybe you are already there.

Paul

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New holland d1000 makes a 2x3 ten times better to haul and stack than a 3x3 because they are oblong they sit on a truck or trailer a lot nicer nothing to them they are just big little baler they weigh just under 10,000 pounds with hay in em they make up to a 700 pound bale is the heaviest I make

Baum604
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland now makes a newer baler that makes 2x3 bales.

New Holland BigBaler 230.

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here a lot of guys have been running either bale barrons or bandits. They end up with 21 small bales in the bundle. 3x7 bales. Ends up almost 4x4x6. And you still have small bales for resale or handling.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’ve been looking at the baler it’s about 70,000$

Robert (ID)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big squares.. the Big square that is industry standard is 4x4, then 3x4, then 3x3, and 2x3..

Ive hauled all of em but the 2x3 that SV has. Of all of em I like hauling 3x4 the best..

if you do 3x3 invest in good straps. Being square the are a little unstable, we hauled 3x3 bales in bunks of 9, 3 wide x 3 high and double strap each bunk .. some states will harass you with this set up for being over width..

4x4 isn't as bad but same problems.. the next thing with 4x4 is you only stack 2 high 2 wide so you lose a foot of height thus making your payload less..

3x4 is the best of both worlds.. you stack 3 high x 2 wide, VERY STABLE.. by going 3 high you get a good payload

I haven't got any experience with 2x3 but i would imagine they would be like the 3x4 and be very stable..

A question you need to look at is tractor HP.. any of these balers is going to take hp.. add an accumulator and /or hills and it takes more...

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3x3 is a miserable size to handle they don’t like to stack and they don’t like to haul either . The 4x4 are big and heavy enough they will stay where you put them

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With Massey/Hesston, New Holland, Deere and I assume the other manufacturers what is typically called a "3x3" bale is actually only 32" wide so a three-wide load should within the standard trucking width.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I load 2x3 three wide and they don’t fit all the way on an 8 foot wide trailer

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was one of the problems with the D1000 - the bale was a true 3 ft wide so you couldn't stack them three wide on a trailer and not be over width. Modern "3-ft" balers have narrower chambers to correct this issue.

thehickdaddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is what I think of when I head someone say little big bales here in oregon

Let me know if video plays.
I will grab link of stack wagon also
Untitled URL Link

thehickdaddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also unique little big bale stack wagon here on oregon
Untitled URL Link

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That makes sense I guess . Never had a problem with the width but I’m not shipping a million ton either but to 5x6 round bales stick off a foot each side of an 8 foot bed . We are supposed to have a permit I guess but I’ve never gotten one

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Small Big squares! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never in my life have I ever seen anything like that, nor did I imagine such a thing was out there.

What exactly is it doing, you cant make a giant pancake or waffale bale like that and tie it around with twin, the bale would fall all apart. How is it held together?

The front auger flapper keeps stopping on the baler, is that slipping in overloaded, or some feed speed design?

Well, 100 more questions, but that is the strangest thing I’ve seen today.

I realize it is very similar to the popular NH small square handling of bales with their stack wagon, but it is somehow making one giant slab of bale at a time? I don’t get how it keeps its form.

Paul

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters