Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Buzzsaw blade needs dentures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I have this 28" buzzsaw blade, looks
like it's never been sharpened, and it is
missing a single tooth. I had been using it
for quite some time, and then one day I
noticed some vibration. When the blade
started to slow down, I noticed the tooth
missing.

Is there any way I can save the blade? Its
got very nice tooth profile, deep bullets,
and doesn't look like it was used much. It
would be a shame to out it out to pasture.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

one tooth should not make a difference sounds like you got it hot from being dull but you could remove a tooth half way around i have a 32 inch with one missing been like that for years

jCarroll
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

X2
break off one which has "set" opposite the missing one.

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractorman44 on YouTube has a decent video for blade sharpening. Not that hard with a good file. Make sure the gullet is round and deep enough. Don’t want any square corners to promote cracks.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt the missing tooth would make a balance vibration, but you could probably feel it in the cut.

I suspect it could be fixed, a new piece welded in if someone was really good and didn't get it too hot.

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before you go taking any extra teeth off, put a straight edge on the blade. My guess is whatever broke the tooth also bent the blade causing it to “wobble” a little bit.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-moresmoke wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:19:38 01/11/21) Before you go taking any extra teeth off, put a straight edge on the blade. My guess is whatever broke the tooth also bent the blade causing it to "wobble" a little bit.

Agree. You need to check the blade out before you do anything. And I wouldn't go busting more teeth off. That makes zero sense to me, in fact it's the last thing I'd do.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is a insert tooth design, google Saw mill circular saw inserts there are enough to find a source. If it is brazed on that can be replaced, if ti is built in, A removal of opposite tooth is what I would do. A welded repair might cost more than a new blade. Jim

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Buzzsaw blade needs dentures Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen a buzzsaw blade with an insert cutter. Sawmills, yes, but not a buzzsaw.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters