Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch prob Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you truly do have a 860 with live pto and the 2 stage clutch is working properly you don't need a over running clutch.

That said there are 2 different pto shaft sizes for these tractors, 1 1/8 pto was used till I believe the -01 models came out in late 57
57/up used a 1 3/8 pto shaft, the larger shaft will fit in the older models so one needs to measure the pto shaft to see which one they have.
If you have a 1 1/8 pto shaft and are installing a 1 3/8 over running clutch it's going to be floppy and will bend the pin.

In the 60's we swapped out the 1 1/8 shaft in our 850 for the 1 3/8 shaft, that way we didn't have to run a adapter to use modern implements without having to cut down it's pto shaft, something you wouldn't want to do if it's your neighbors implement.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

860 has a live pto, no need for an over running coupler. It’s already built into the tractor.

Leave it off.

If you have a 860? Or is it an 850, then it does nit have a live pto.

Paul

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch prob Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have an 860 with a live clutch.

No need for the over running clutch for your tractor. It will cause more problems and won’t solve any.

Paul

profitt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Perhaps your pin was bent due to too long of a drive shaft. If the implement does not have enough travel it could have pushed the shaft too far forward on the PTO shaft.

I use an ORC on my 851 and it shows significant wobble with only 4-5 hours use. Perhaps I abused it a little clearing a forest floor of brush and fallen limbs. As a newbie myself I have to stress the importance of taking your Brush Hog serious. I picked up a 10 pound chunk of concrete along my driveway and threw it a good 20 feet. Not even a scratch on the blade!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch prob Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much covered in that you don't need/want ORC on that tractor. Good points about pto shaft size and length of implement shaft considerations. Attached shows why not cost/time effective to repair. No bearings, just iron against iron, so grease is required! Splines transmit torque (when roll pin is properly installed), not the pin. Failure to center pin defeats ORC function and does have pin transmitting torque. By bend in your roll pin, I suspect that is what has happened.

ChloeArmstrong
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch prob Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you Dean.
The problem was the drive line.

Ol Kansas Fiddler
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch prob Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you're right, JMOR, we pretty much covered it. It's become quite clear that it's not necessary. This forum saved me 80 bucks or so. Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

bc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on PTO Overrun Clutch prob Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure if I should jump in here or start a new thread but I'm like the fiddler and haven't run a pto in a bunch of years. I just got my 1500 and it came with a 715 snowblower mentioned in a thread on the tractor forum. Learned there that with the round shaft on the blower that I either need a pto shaft with a yoke on the end for round shafts or use an adapter. I'm thinking adapter but maybe you guys know better. Anyway the 1500 also came with a 5' TSC finish mower. I thought that all pto shafts were adjustable and will slide but this one is solid and too long to use with the blower.

After reading this thread my basic question is how do you size a pto shaft and are adjustable ones available? Also since this is a dead pto should I use an ORC all the time? With the present mower setup I'll have to live with it and not use an ORC cause I don't want to buy a new shaft for it. I'm not sure an ORC would be needed for the blower anyway. I want to get it working since I have it but it will get rare use nowadays since the big snows bypass us in central KS.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters