Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Chain saw spits chain off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dopp Creek
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife runs a 40 volt Ryobi saw and she loves it, perfect tool for her. The chain comes off frequently, more than any saw I’ve used in the last 45 years. I can put it back on, tension it and within a few minutes it will come off. It is mostly used for limbing so the nose of the bar gets most of the action. I believe it has the original Ryobi bar and chain. Anyone got any ideas?

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the bar is worn . Take it off and trace its shape onto a piece of paper , flip it over and then see if the shape is symmetrical. If not rotated often the under side will wear and create a gap that lets the chain fly off .

timcasbolt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-dopp creek wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:49:07 01/14/21) My wife runs a 40 volt Ryobi saw and she loves it, perfect tool for her. The chain comes off frequently, more than any saw I ve used in the last 45 years. I can put it back on, tension it and within a few minutes it will come off. It is mostly used for limbing so the nose of the bar gets most of the action. I believe it has the original Ryobi bar and chain. Anyone got any ideas?
Is there any chance the threads on the tensioner are worn or undersize causing the chain to go slack when she puts a load on it?

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timcasbolt wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:43:11 01/14/21)
CVPost-dopp creek wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:49:07 01/14/21) My wife runs a 40 volt Ryobi saw and she loves it, perfect tool for her. The chain comes off frequently, more than any saw I ve used in the last 45 years. I can put it back on, tension it and within a few minutes it will come off. It is mostly used for limbing so the nose of the bar gets most of the action. I believe it has the original Ryobi bar and chain. Anyone got any ideas?
Is there any chance the threads on the tensioner are worn or undersize causing the chain to go slack when she puts a load on it?

Or the bolts that hold the bar in place?

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see this often with the little dinky saws. You have a tiny chain on a plastic saw. Anything gets under the chain and it will flip the relatively flexible chain right out of the relatively shallow groove it rides in. My Stihl 011 is horrible about that.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has it always been a problem or is this something new?

If it's always done it, could be something assembled wrong or mfg defect.

Take the bar and chain off, look things over carefully, look for a worn or bent bar, something caught up in the bar, the sprocket for wear, the sprocket alignment with the bar.

Does the chain stay tight? If it backs off, could be a problem with the tensioner or the nuts not tightening down correctly on the bar. Be sure the bar sits flat against the case, nothing caught up under it or a screw backed out keeping it from sitting flat and tightening down.

Hold the chain stretched out between your hands, bow it side to side, it should bow the same both ways. If it has been run on a bent or misaligned bar it may be worn in such a way it favors one side and will continue to jump off even if the root cause is corrected.

Check the sprocket shaft for front to rear, and in and out play. If the bearing is bad the sprocket will be misaligned.

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"It is mostly used for limbing so the nose of the bar gets most of the action." Natural off balance of the limb twists the limb as the cut is near completed and pops the chain off the bar??

miangus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had a chain get a twist in it from being pinched and it would not stay on.

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

too little oil will cause them to heat,stretch and jump out of the groove.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I knew my neighbor had a Ryobi (corded) pole saw. I had a branch on a wire and asked to use it. The chain was off, so, as normal, I fixed it. The chain adjuster was pretty flimsy. I put it together and used it gently. No issue. Look it over to see if you can't "improve" the adjuster. Under cutting limbs a bit befor cutting through from top helps avoid bend pinching ! Jim

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dopp creek,

A couple of things to check. One: is the adjusting tang in the bar slot?

Two; get the adjuster lock nut tight.
If it's an hand adjuster (no tools) get it tight.
Most people are not strong enough to do it by hand only, use a pair of pliers.

Never seen a worn bar causing your issue,

Guido.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chain saw spits chain off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too thin gauge chain for the bar?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters