Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

re torquing a head on my 400

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I have a head gasket leak. So I set the wrench to a 100 lbs and went around and a few of them turned a little. Then I checked the manual and it said to torque to 110. SSSOOO, the big question is, will re torquing the head to 110 stop the leak. You see I do not have the equipment to lift the head off and I might not be man enough to lift it off by myself anymore. And it is winter here in the north land.

I checked on here for a gasket and it said out of stock.
TY
SDE

cornerpost
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have nothing to lose by trying. Is that hot or cold?

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So you didnt put in a new head gasket, if u didn't, i don't think so, try a bottle of K-Seal, thats new technology in stop leak, it doesn't plug the cores in the radiator! But u got to put it in the radiator hot, read the directions!!!

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have yet to see a retorque stop a leak on an engine other than a fresh build. Plus I hope it was hot when u did the torque checking.

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cold, I did see where a person had posted to warm the engine and then torque first to 100, then 110 and finally 115

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used K Seal before with good results. I wanted to check the torque to be sure that I did not have a broken bolt. I will try K Seal again if I still have a leak, which I feel is very likely to be the case.

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No it was cold. The manual did not have anything about it needing to be warm. Page 24 of IH-10

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If ..the north.. means you are within an hour drive of the Twin Cites I will come help you lift your head. Let me know or send me an email from Classic.

67Chevrolet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont want to start an argument, but Ive never seen a reason to retorque head gaskets except on farm tractors because it says to retorque. Swapped hundreds of automotive head gaskets, never retorque, worked over 20 years on semi tractors and never retorque, and never had a single issue.
I do retorque tractor head gaskets because most manuals or gaskets said to do it.
Is it a farm tractor gasket technology thing, or auto and big truck not wanting to pay the flat rate to do it?
Once again, im not trying to start something, but the local Ford, New Holland shop has never retorqued a head gasket either, I know this because Im friends with the owner and know several of the Mechanics, and they say they never worry about it, at least one of their mechanics doesnt even own a torque wrench and just tightens them with a breaker bar.
Not trying to start something, just wandered what the difference in tractors and auto or big truck is conceding head gadgets?
I apologize to the person who started this thread, didnt want to steal it.
Concerning his tractor, Id leave it alone, like someone else said. Ive only seen it work on a fresh built farm tractor engine. Id be afraid to tighten anymore and break a stud.

jhncp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What makes you "think" you have a head gasket leak? Is it leaking coolant into oil or pushing compression into radiater or both? You can put an air compressor hose in each spark plug hole and listen for bubbling (on compression stroke in 5th gear) or turn fan by hand while holding belt tight and listen or if you have a hand crank and it works (the easiest option) or take oil pan off to look where drip is coming (I had one leaking thru a lifter bore)

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I lost at least two gallons of coolant. I had a white sweet smelling exhaust. I checked the oil the next day and it isn't in the oil. I filled it with coolant and ran it down the road to warm it up. The exhaust was clear during the entire drive. I had what looked like a layer of sand on the coolant in the radiator. The next day the coolant was back to being a nice green color. I believe the brown layer was a layer of very fine bubbles.

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No offense taken. not even close.
TY
SDE

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a very generous offer. Thank you. I would be about 90 minutes, but I am a can do kind of a guy. I put some used steel under my trusses as a ceiling, because the birds were crapping on the tractor. If I had to I could cut a hole in it to accommodate a winch. Again, Thank you
SDE

bc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't have a specific answer but I recently stopped at a long time area dealer and visited with the owner and discussed engine rebuilding. He said they have always put the head gaskets on dry, torqued them down, and nobody brings them in for a retorque or brought them back for leaks. They worked on all brands and carry multiple lines. FWIW.

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: re torquing a head on my 400 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a new head gasket on my H last winter in the cold. I torqued the head studs down to spec at the shop temperature (16F or -9C). I checked every stud three times for 70 ft-lbs. Then I started the engine and re-checked torque when warm. Some were down to 10 ft-lbs! I had some bubbling coolant leaking visible on the side of the block. I did a full re-torque when warm and it has not leaked since.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters