Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 550 won't start.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello All.
This is my first post after joining this site! Happy holidays to everyone! 😊
I’ve recently had the privilege of inheriting my grandfather-in-law’s 1968 Oliver 550 tractor with loader. I’m kind of excited because this is my first tractor! You have to start somewhere, I guess.
Over the holidays, I brought the tractor inside a heated garage to try and get her running. To the best of my knowledge, she’s been kept in a covered barn and not been started for 15-20 years!!! She’s WELL used but in remarkable condition after all these years. She was backed into the barn, parked and been sitting there ever since.
I’ve done all the usual things to begin with. Changed all the fluids, changed the spark plugs, verified and cleaned the points & condenser and added some fresh gas. The tank was surprisingly bone dry and perfectly clean! After my first attempt at a start, after putting fresh gas, the carb had gas pouring out the intake as fast as I was adding. No problem. Purchased a complete carb kit and had a local guy perform the clean and rebuild. Everything went well, even the float was in great condition.
On the 2nd attempt, she turns over very well. Avg 150 compression in each cylinder. Correct firing order of 1-2-4-3. Very good spark. She just absolutely refuses to start. Removed the plugs… all dry. Seems to be no gas getting into the cylinders?! When cranking, there is a ‘strong’ suction at the carb intake. Can anybody give me some insight as to what I should be checking?! It’s like the gas is not atomizing?! Can’t figure out how after all that cranking that the cylinders and plugs are bone dry.
Just FYI, I’m definitely no mechanic, but know enough to get me in trouble! lol
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very sorry guys. I have no idea how I managed to get the same picture 5 times in that post.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the plugs are dry, it's an indication that they're firing OK. If you want to know if you have gas to the cylinders, crank it over without the plugs firing, like taking off the coil wire or something, then see if the plugs are wet. If it was me, I'd shoot a little ether in the carb and see if it'll fire.

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the tip.
I had it cranking without any plugs in. Just a bunch of 'dust' flying around inside. Probably some old carbon.
Would I have not seen some fuel at that point?

greg krush
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would verify correct firing order, could be 180 degrees out of time, have seen this many times. you can just swap leads across cap without removing distributor if is just 180 degrees off.

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple of ideas. Did you disconnect the gas line at the carb and spin the engine to see if the fuel pump is pumping gas to the carb? If it isn"t, you"ll have to check the lines and filter. I know you said the carb was re-built, but there could be some crud picked up and clogging the jet. Also, check for air leaks at the intake manifold and carb gasket. That might explain the sucking at the carb. Let us know what you find out in the end. Good luck.

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-greg krush wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:48:30 12/28/20) I would verify correct firing order, could be 180 degrees out of time, have seen this many times. you can just swap leads across cap without removing distributor if is just 180 degrees off.

I have verified the firing order for the tractor. It is 1-2-4-3. That was the way I received the tractor and after redoing the points and plugs, I made sure it went back the same way. I didn't touch the distributor at all. Maybe worth taking a look into... If the plugs and cylinders were 'wet' with gas, I could possibly see that but with everything being bone dry, I'm leaning towards a fuel issue. Thanks for the help!!

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Super 55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:06:02 12/28/20) A couple of ideas. Did you disconnect the gas line at the carb and spin the engine to see if the fuel pump is pumping gas to the carb? If it isn"t, you"ll have to check the lines and filter. I know you said the carb was re-built, but there could be some crud picked up and clogging the jet. Also, check for air leaks at the intake manifold and carb gasket. That might explain the sucking at the carb. Let us know what you find out in the end. Good luck.

Thanks Super 55!

When I disconnect the gas line, I have to be quick because it sure makes a mess. No flow blockage there. I don't believe there is a fuel pump on this model tho. It comes from the tank, into the strainer bowl, then to an inline filter and finally to the carb. All gravity fed. Maybe some crud got in the carb although the strainer and filter (clear plastic) all look clean. I do occasionally get gas leaking back out the intake but it seems to be random times and only after repeated cranking?!

What I meant by suction at the carb is during cranking, if you place your hand over the the carb inlet, it will suck your hand onto it like a good shopvac. I assumed that indicated no vacuum leaks in the intake manifold. There are no vacuum lines anywhere on the intake system. It seems pretty straight forward in that sense.

It just seems like the gas is not getting from the carb up to the cylinders and I can't figure out why? Maybe the carb wasn't rebuilt correctly. That's the only piece I'm not comfortable playing with as I've never played with one before.

Thanks again for the help!! I'm definitely open to any suggestions Very Happy

scootergmc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't normally recommend this, but I'd just shoot a little starting fluid in to see if it pops on its own. If it does, then you've narrowed it down to a fuel delivery problem.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you had the carb rebuilt, did you stuff a rag in the intake and forget to take it out when putting it back together? There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the carb, take it out and make sure the gas is getting into the carb. Use a glass jar and let it run for a couple of minutes to make sure you have fuel flow.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won't start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hold your hand over the intake on the carb while you're cranking on it. Sometimes the choke just isn't enough, especially if it hasn't been run in a while. Same goes if it's real cold.

j williams
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the muffler and exhaust pipe for obstruction possible mice or birds made nest in it Also to check firing at plugs take one out and with a pair of insulated handle pliers hold the plug
with it hooked up to spark plug wire against the motor block and have someone crank the motor over watch for spark. If no spark go back and check points and condenser also possible bad coil with no spark. Joe

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''''''''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

scootergmc wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:13:25 12/28/20)
I don't normally recommend this, but I'd just shoot a little starting fluid in to see if it pops on its own. If it does, then you've narrowed it down to a fuel delivery problem.

It's not my first choice either, but I gave in and bought a can. I'll be back on it this weekend and will try a shot if I still can't get her to start. Thanks!

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-super99 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:30:48 12/29/20) When you had the carb rebuilt, did you stuff a rag in the intake and forget to take it out when putting it back together? There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the carb, take it out and make sure the gas is getting into the carb. Use a glass jar and let it run for a couple of minutes to make sure you have fuel flow.

Now THAT sounds just like something I'd have done!! This time however, no rag left in the intake.

I know the gas is getting to the carb because if I crank her over with the choke on full, gas will pour out the intake after 10-15 seconds of cranking. Only seems to do it when the choke is pulled. Doesn't do that without choke. I've read somewhere that with a Zenith 267 carb, not to choke for more than a crank or two or this could result.

Touringgt99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 550 won''t start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrlund wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:09:14 12/29/20) Hold your hand over the intake on the carb while you're cranking on it. Sometimes the choke just isn't enough, especially if it hasn't been run in a while. Same goes if it's real cold.

I did try that previously. That's how I confirmed 'good' suction into the carb. Still no start tho?!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters