Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8n, 6 to 12 v conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillbill
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok.. thanks men... been thinking of changing over to 12v.. starter is 3 years old ...guess we'll see...

Bruce(VA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you hope to get from 12v that you aren't getting from 6v?
75 Tips

wayne bullen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have 3 12v tractors and an 8n original 6v. The 8n will start faithfully when the others won't.

duey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hillbill, Because you WANT to convert is also a Good Answer.... no explanation is needed. I was delighted with the conversion on mine... years ago.

Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Wayne Bullen wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:04:35 01/10/21) We have 3 12v tractors and an 8n original 6v. The 8n will start faithfully when the others won't.

Wayne,
Horses and sled dogs both 'started well' for centuries but they all were traded in for tractors and 12 v snow machines as soon as they were available.

Not to be any more ornery than usual - but every vehicle I have ever owned (since the mid 60s) has started well - and they all have been 12v Neg. I have found that it's not the voltage and polarity, but rather it's simply how they are maintained that produces dependability.

If you prefer 6 v Pos. then that's great.

I prefer 12 v Neg., LEDs, cell phones, computers, electric well pumps and many other modern things as well - and that's great, too.

Oh, I live every Spring through Fall in Alaska where I don't have grid power. I have to make do with 12v DC. I prefer grid power but I can make 12v DC work, too.

- Joe -

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's your tractor and your $$$ so you can do whatever you want, just be certain you know what you are doing and do it correctly. There's nothing wrong with 12V and nothing wrong with keeping it as OEM 6V/POS GRN either. Does the tractor start and run fine now on 6V? How does a 3-year old starter figure in? How do you know? FORD engineered all components to be rebuilt over and over and should be your first choice rather than buying anything sold today as the aftermarket stuff is mostly junk. I have starters last for 10 years or more. Any good, qualified starter/alternator shop who knows FORD systems, will be able to test a starter or generator, and rebuild if needed. Having hard or no starting issues? First thing is to get your shop to test the battery. When tractor is not used and in the barn attach float charger such as the DELTRAN Battery Tender JR (6V). Don't use a trickle charger. If you don't know how it should be wired as OEM 6V, what makes you think switching to 12V will fix or be better? Meanwhile, you can get your ESSENTIAL MANUALS and verify the wiring is all correct.

FORD 8N TRACTOR WIRING DIAGRAMS:
PRIOR TO S/N 8N-263844:

CORRECT FORD 8N ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS - 6V & 12V:

FORD 8N TRACTOR w/FRONT MOUNT -12v CONVERSION:

*PICTOGRAMS courtesy of JMOR

FORD OEM BALLAST RESISTOR -USED ONLY WITH FRONT MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR:

HELP: The LH resistor Terminal Post connects to the COIL Stud Terminal Post as you face the back off dash. OEM Wiring is RED.

EXTERNAL 1-OHM CERAMIC RESISTOR - USED ON FRONT MOUNT AND
ONLY IF COIL IS 6V:

MAJOR CAUSES OF ACCIDENTS:

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

michford
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got brighter headlights when I converted my working tractors. Made it much nicer to see when cleaning my driveway of snow in the darkness of winter.

Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim,

'40 9N, Front, 12V, neg gnd, 12 V coil, Elect Ign --- does this bit of advice hold true (or not) under these (admittedly) specific parameters?

"EXTERNAL 1-OHM CERAMIC RESISTOR - USED ON FRONT MOUNT AND
ONLY IF COIL IS 6V:"

Thanks.

- Joe -

Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim,

'40 9N, Front, 12V, neg gnd, 12 V coil, Elect Ign --- does this bit of advice hold true (or not) under these (admittedly) specific parameters?

Thanks.

- Joe -

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe.S.AK wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:17:36 01/13/21) Tim,

Thanks.

- Joe -

don't use the ceramic resistor with a 12 volt coil.

Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you - it sort'a seemed to be that way - but rather than make assumptions I thought I'd ask.

- Joe -

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe.S.AK wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:47:17 01/13/21) Thank you - it sort'a seemed to be that way - but rather than make assumptions I thought I'd ask.

- Joe -

fwiw, pertronix told me to also bypass the OEM ballast resistor.

Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 8n, 6 to 12 v conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, the 12 V coil and the Petronix EI wires should both run through the Ign switch back to 12 V positive (hot) power? The Ign key controls power to both. THAT really makes sense to cut off all power when shut off.

Cool! Smile

- Joe -

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters