Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case starts hard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota W.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a case 222 runs great but starts hard especially cold. Has brand new points condenser and coil. Is there anything I can do to help make it start easy. Thanks.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cold they take lots of choke,if we're talking 10 to 23 deg cold, then I suggest a shot of starting fluid. It is easier on the starter and the battery,and if everything is ok they tend to pop right off.

oldsarge
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a Kohler........Choke the crap out of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TomIn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a Gravely with the 12 hp Kohler engine. It had always started very quickly if used fairly regularly. A couple of years ago it became a very slow starter. I found that the problem was a loose fitting on the outlet side of the fuel pump. Apparently this allowed the fuel line (at least the section between the fuel pump and carb) to "drain", and it took quite a lot of cranking for the fuel pump to push more gasoline to the carb. I've also heard that some Kohler fuel pumps seem to get weaker after thirty to fifty years.

busboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Id check your valve clearance, if it spins slow. the compression release is on the cam and might be out of adjustment.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Wheel Horse C-141 (Kohler K321) was also very slow to start. Like mentioned above, the fuel pump was allowing fuel to drain back. I'm not familiar with your tractor, but on this tractor, the fuel tank is a loooonng way from the motor. New fuel pump, pops right off.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Full choke, open throttle a bit start cranking and then throw the throttle to idle she should fire in a few cranks as long as it has not like said drained the carb bowl either forma leak, pump,line or carb bowl, or it has been sitting a week or more,,

Burnttoast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the point set is very important to the timing..I had one that would start very hard..excessive cranking..it ended up being the points were to closed..it starts as it should now..I save tractors has a nice piece on you tube to cover it..

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Burnttoast wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:00:02 12/29/20) the point set is very important to the timing..I had one that would start very hard..excessive cranking..it ended up being the points were to closed..it starts as it should now..I save tractors has a nice piece on you tube to cover it..

On those old Kohlers the spark timing was set by slightly tweaking the point gap while using a timing light.

To keep spark knock at a minimum or prevent low power, wasting fuel and overheating it's important to set the points using a timing light.

For complete details, the official Kohler manual can be viewed, downloaded, and even printed for FREE.

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

Credysis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't download it. Not sure why. I'll try again, maybe just a glitch on my end.

45cole
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the battery is at 12+ volts. When cranking in the cold the voltage tends to drop and messes with the spark. You can test this theory by putting jumper cables on the battery and try cranking with the boost from your car. If she starts right up you know the low system voltage is to blame.

Been there, done that. FYI low voltage will fire on ether, but better to correctly diagnose and get to the bottom of it rather than turning to engine drugs.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Case starts hard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dakota W. wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:03:34 12/09/20) I got a case 222 runs great but starts hard especially cold. Has brand new points condenser and coil. Is there anything I can do to help make it start easy. Thanks.

Have you been to this site? There's a section that has manuals you can download for free. Or you can ask for help on the Kohler engine page.

https://casecoltingersoll.com/forum.php

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters