Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I though master cylinder was shot on this 1977 International Loadstar 1700 so I replaced and still same symptoms: press brake pedal 1st time it sinks to the floor. Then on 2nd through 4th pumps it stops 1/2 way down. Then if you wait 1 minutes the same thing happens. Pedal goes to floor yet on following pumps 1/2 way down. I have replaced slave cylinder and service the wheel cylinders that were leaking on front and rear drivers side of truck. I been told I need to pressure bleed brakes to get rid of trapped air that may be causing the the pedal to sink to floor. Im thinking of applying 15 psi to top of master cylinder with air hose yet it seems these pressure bleeders have a remote pump that contains brake fluid that you pressurize to master cylinder. Anyone here made a pressure bleeder set up?

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive researched tge pressure bleeders you buy put 15 psi to
Master cylinder and then you go crack one bleeder screw at a time, longest line first. Ive usually just succeeded at bleeeding brakes with a buddy pumping brake pedal on 1/2-1 ton pickups suvs yet this big truck has been a royal pain!! Any suggestions greatly appreciated. With buddy holding pressure on brake pedal, I have noticed the rear bleeders the fluid just flows out really slowly (RR even slower than LR) yet front brakes fluid jets out like really fast and quick.

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I researched all the brake shoes need to be adjusted so drums just drag a bit. I know if drum brakes get worn down yoyr brake pedal moves further down as wheel cylinders have to travel further. I know drivers rear drum is dragging too much. Ill check other 3 wheels.

I been reading reviews on pressure bleeders and looking at homemade pressure bleeders made from insecticide sprayers. Anyone here suggest a brand of pressure bleeder that has worked well on big trucks with slave cylinder under truck? With my experience building a pressure bleeder using an insecticide sprayer with a pressure gauge i stalled should do the trick. I can drill and tap a hole for fitting in old master cylinder cap. I see brand name pressure bleeders from $100-500+ CAD on Amazon dot ca yet I will check local autopart stores today. With two wheel cylinders per wheel on this truck is seems conceivable the first pump to floor may be pressurizing an air bubble at a cylinder and then bect pumps brake pedal feels right.

Longknife
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Cariboo4x4"](reply to post at 17:10:06 01/23/21) [/quot

Cariboo, I worked for UPS for 25 years and did a couple of brake jobs each week. I would fill the M-cyl with fluid and open the bleeder that is farthest away, then I would put away tools , clean up ,etc, and check bleeder every so often , when fluid appeared to drip steady I would close that bleeder and go to the next closer one, and continue clean up. Just work your way back to the M-cyl. Take your time and let gravity do its work. I probably did over 1,300 brake jobs in my 25 year career and never once used a power bleeder!!!!!,,,,,Ed

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Longknife"](quoted from post at 07:36:10 01/26/21)
Cariboo4x4 wrote:
(reply to post at 17:10:06 01/23/21) [/quot

Cariboo, I worked for UPS for 25 years and did a couple of brake jobs each week. I would fill the M-cyl with fluid and open the bleeder that is farthest away, then I would put away tools , clean up ,etc, and check bleeder every so often , when fluid appeared to drip steady I would close that bleeder and go to the next closer one, and continue clean up. Just work your way back to the M-cyl. Take your time and let gravity do its work. I probably did over 1,300 brake jobs in my 25 year career and never once used a power bleeder!!!!!,,,,,Ed

Thank you Ed. I appreciate four reply and knowledge.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters