Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

dealerships in your home town/county old time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver fan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In south central Mich. there was every major brand. With in 35 miles there was more Oliver and International than other brands. When I was a little kid I remember A Silver King dealer in my home town.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was one of every brand, Ford and MM shared a dealership.

1948CaseVAI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pawnee County KS:

Larned: Roth Equip - Case; Knupp Equip. Oliver-White; Young Equip. John Deere. - all closed.

Burdett: DeLaney John Deere and unknown Massey-Harris. DeLaney still open.

greg oliver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot WALTON Farm Supply for IH and River Valley Ford too! Isn’t the old saying the Mind is the first to go!

JD Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH was king of the road in Monmouth County, central New Jersey in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's. They had a very strong dealer network here. There was one weak John Deere dealer in Marlboro. There was also MF, Ford and Oliver. MF & Ford were never a big contenders but the potato growers in Mercer County, - north and south, liked Olivers, - seems mainly for their good cultivators and local dealers, as I remember. Eventually IH was fading by the late 1970's, the IH dealer went bust and my uncle shifted over to John Deere by 1976 because he thought they had a more integrated design and would be more reliable. New Jersey is now the black hole of equipment dealers but there is now still a lot of specialized agriculture requiring unusual equipment in our densely populated state.

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm almost 50. My home town didn't have any left when I was little. Back in the old days their was the FE Gates Garage Ford/Fordson closed in the 30's. Westerburg Exchange, the JI Case dealer was the last to close in 1956. BW ROE, International Harvester moved to Norton KS in 1939. Later closed in the mid 80's. And the South Garage was John Deere closed in 41 or 42 due to the war.

When I was little 14 miles to the east was John Deere, IH, and Massey. They are all gone now. 30 miles north was Ford, IH, Allis, Massey, Case, John Deere. Today just CaseIh and John Deere are left.

Going west was John Deere 10 miles and Massey at 15 miles. Both gone.

Going south at least 35 miles was John Deere, and Ih. Only John Deere is left.

730virgil
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carroll co. Il had Mf dealer in Lanark also Ford Minney Mo New Holland Gehl Kewanee.
Mt Carroll had Ollie AC New Holland New Idea and John Deere dealer. Chadwick had Case New Idea and Chevrolet under one roof they sold lots of trucks to local milk haulers that went to Kraft cheese in Milledgeville. Milledgeville had Ih and John Deere dealer. Maybe an Ac dealer.
Shannon had a Case New Holland. There might have been a Minnie Mo dealer in Savanna.

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The main dealer was Schiffler.

That line was precluded by Theisen. There was Lux- JD, Neiss & Bothien-AC, and at one point a Ford dealer which was short lived, and a Gambles Store where that line could be obtained.
Down the road was Freeport Inplement, MH/ MF, which is still there and Funk- MM.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mankato in the 50's/60's. Teows Mayer-IH,, Cotkusky and Jones-Case,, Pierse Myers Imp.-Oliver,, Mankato Imp.-JD. I can't remember the name but there was MM down by the tracks on Poplar st. Equity warehouse had Lindsay and Minnesota,, Judson Imp had Massy.

Tractorcedric
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was only fifteen I got to work at our IH dealer. Rode my bike there each day. One day Hubert wanted me to take a right hand drive IH Scout pulling a little tilt deck trailer to pick up a Cub cadet for repair. I told him I did not have a drivers license yet. He said don't worry about that, his uncle was the sheriff. I made it ok! IH was big there because the canning factory used all IH. They had a bunch of 2ME pickers and would mount them on any farmers M Farmall and they picked sweet corn for the factory. They sold a lot Scouts and Binder pickups. Later I worked at the Oliver dealer and they took on CASE about the time the 70 series started. I got the Oliver clock when the new White came. It is in my shop running now. Southern Indiana dealers

johndeerejim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello onefarmer,

Years ago I stopped in St Johns and seen the Allis dealer. Had the signs, few tractors out was nice retro dealership. When through St Johns last summer and it looked closed. No Allis sign, one tractor and looked like they were moving out. Any word on what happened? I live in SE Michigan I go up north every year or two.

johndeerejim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Being born in 1981, late 1980s/90s We had in SE Michigan John Deere dealers in Tecumseh and Adrian, Case IH Adrian, John Deere dealer in Morenci, Ford dealer in Saline, Dexter had JD dealer south of Ann Arbor has Kubota dealer. Lyons and Metamora OH had JD dealers.

Today: Deere dealers still in Tecumseh and Metamora, both were former family owned dealerships. Tecumseh one sold out in 2009 Metamora in 2019. Adrian Deere dealer gone 2015 or 2016 man retired when to that auction. Lyons Oh dealer closed 1998 my old B came from their new in 1945. Dexter dealer still open got out of Deere 2018 sell Simplicity and Kubota. Adrian CASE IH dealer there renamed twice also do Kubota they used to do Agco Allis Bobcat and Woods. Morenci dealer closed sometime in 1990s and Ford dealer closed around 2000. Hudson has a New Holland dealer opened within last 10 years. Ann Arbor dealer still there they were a former IH and Allis dealer now Kubota and AGCO Massey Ferguson. Manchester had a CASE IH dealer closed 2005ish was car repair more recently they sell tractors and tractor parts. My Dad once told me most towns in our area had IH dealers in every town back in the day. Dundee IH dealer closed long ago now is a NAPA dealer.

formerly ny bill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what brand did Hardy Hanson and son sell?

JK-NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember when I was young the Syracuse Sunday paper had a lot of classified ads and that included ads from farm equipment dealers. I remember seeing Don Howard's ads and always wanted to check the place out. Wasnt he also a New Idea and NH dealer too?

SkipperII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: dealerships in your home town/county old time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Skagit County, Washington

Bert Robinsons Hardware, Then Smiley's, Now Farmers Equipment- IH
Vans Equipment, Ferguson, Jack Haggerty later sold Massey Ferguson
Hamburg Iron Works, Allis Chalmers
Vaux Tractor, then Olsens, then Brimm- Ford. In the 60s Vaux went to Fordson Majors.
Johnson Motors, Oliver.
Barnett Implement, John Deere, a few years ago Washington Implement bought them out, and now Pape'.
Straub Farm Equipment had Case.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters