Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

52 B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looked at a '52 Allis B yesterday.
Someone cobbled up a 3 point hitch on
the back. Seems to work ok. Comes with a
4' bush hog. My question is will the
tractor run a 7' new holland 451 sickle
mower?

DrAllis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think it would, on level ground and if the mower is a pull type. If it is fully mounted, I doubt that a B would pick it up. A 7 ft bar will have a lot of leverage against a 2000 lb model B, but in 1st or 2nd gear on level running I think you'll be fine.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's 3 point hitch sickle...... Maybe
weights on front of tractor?

DrAllis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would imagine some front ballast would be needed on a B.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My run it but you will need something to hold the front end down or you will be doing wheelies. You may need the front lift set up I have to hold the front down.

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know how much this 7' mower in question might weigh? I can just tell you that when I used to run my grandfather's 7' foot sickle mower (3pt. hitch) 55+ years ago there was no problem of any kind with the front being light. If the tractor you're mentioning has exceptionally long lift arms it would lighten up the front a bit.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd say it is in the 500lbs plus range so good chance it would be front end light

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, but......... the big problem is the mower needs a good solid top link bracket on the tractor to fasten to. Are you familiar with the NH 451? You know how that bail assembly fastens to the top link bracket on the tractor, then the top link fastens between that and the mower. This business operates the cable, to lift the bar higher, as you raise the mower. Then, with the adjustable stops, the whole weight of the mower hangs on this top link thing when lowered. So, all that needs to be adjusted to fit a certain tractor, which is OK, but then switching between tractors is a real pain. The only place to fasten a top link on a B that I can imagine would be on a rockshaft, and that's going to move some. I don't know, maybe it would work? I'd be a whole lot more concerned about this than any weight or power issue.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you'd ever get it hooked up so as to be usable,plus the B is really just too light for the mower and no LPTO either.Wouldn't be worth the effort and problems to over come for me.A D14 or D15 would be much better match.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, yep have a 451 with 9' cutter bar mounted on a ford 950. Took way too long to get it adjusted correctly to swap it to a different tractor. It was on the ford 960, which has smaller rear tires than the 950. Major changes to get it to work. The B has a homemade, rigged, 3 point and you are correct, there would be a lot of weight hanging off the rock shaft. Don't think I'm gonna try it.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 52 B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find the belly mount sickle mower made for the B and be done with it. I have one on a C that I have same as what is used on the B

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters