Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Electric trailer landing jacks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’ve been doing a little research about adding an electric motor to the landing jacks on my gooseneck trailer. Bulldog makes a kit to use with their jacks. A trailer dealer says he has added this unit to trailers with different brand jacks. The trailer has two single speed jacks. Does anybody have any experience with electric operated trailer landing gear. I can’t justify the expense of a hydraulic system. Thanks for any input

JoeM(GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when I was still working, we had one on one of our trailers, the kit was not cheap (several years ago it was 400+), and they are so slow, I bet the one we installed didn't do better than 3 inches or so a minute, I wasn't impressed

deeretails
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put one on my gooseneck a couple of years ago. It is slow, but no slower then doing it by hand. Single speed jack. Very happy with it.

RCP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend of mine built one using a Harbor Freight winch motor, a couple of sprockets and a piece of roller chain. I am not sure how he attached the sprocket to the winch motor.

Steve in IL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been thinking that it would easy to fabricate a system where I could use a cordless drill. Weld on say a 3/4 nut to the end of the shaft, and put a 3/4 socket on a 1/2 square drive. Could be used for both the main front jack and the two smaller loading jacks in the back.

David from Kansas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve, I like your idea and think I will try to make an adapter to use my 1/2 inch battery impact. I only have one jack on my trailers and I never unhook them with a load on so I think that would work. It is just getting too hard for me to raise/lower them by hand at my age.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Without gear reduction it isnt going to work very well

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we used something similar to raise and lower a drawbridge when the main motors went out--1/2 inch drive 120v drill on to the main gearbox

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seen the same here. Guy in our pulling group built one from a winch for his trailer. I believe he just bored a sprocket to fit the winch drum and welded it on.

RCP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Moresmoke

Was it Bill with the pink JD A?

Wayne in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave, I think you and Steve might have several good ideas. Would a cordless 1/2 inch drill or cordless 1/2 impact be the better tool and would a drill/ impact have enough torque to run the jack (trailer not loaded)? I think I would try to fabricate a nut welded to an adapter I could bolt onto the jack shaft in place of the crank. That would allow me to unbolt the drill/impact adapter and bolt on the crank if needed.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a two speed you might be able to run it on a drill, but I wouldn't bet on it. THe link will take you a a winch rework,cheap and pretty easy to do. I would work up a bicycle chain and sprocket reducer and then a drill. I use a Makita on the scissor jack on the camper,it can break a wrist if you do not hold on when it tops out. I want to put on on my 20 ft bumper pull, but the jack is worn out, so all at once a rework.
some ideas

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is at the bottom of the link. I am thing HF
this is faster

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, different guy. Black JD A!

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric trailer landing jacks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just hooked to my gooseneck that has 10 bales of hay on it. Just took a few minutes. It is hyd. Cost $800 worth every penny.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters