Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Reusing main bolt lock washers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding the 265 gas engine in my 1650. When I disassembled the engine the main cap bolts only had split spring type lock washers under the bolt head. I normally don't reuse this type lock washer but am having a hard time finding grade 8 9/16" lock washers at an actual store locally. So do you guys reuse the old washers? I wish it had french locks, I'd have more faith in them than any lock washer. Opinions please.
Thanks

Gary Mitchell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've rebuilt or overhauled a lot of engines during my life and I've always reused the lock washers unless one was broken. Many applications don't even use them. It's my understanding that the torque on the bolt is what holds it tight anyway. gm

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't argue. I've always been tought the same about achieving proper torque on the fastener. I made a trip to the "big city" and found some new washers. The old ones just didn't have much spring left in them...

JohnRowehl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read up on this a while back when the cheap lock washers Id gotten from the hardware store were splitting open as I was putting a flywheel back on. Those articles brought me to the same conclusion. The torque on the bolt was what mattered and lock washers arent really helpful. So I reinstalled the flywheel bolts without any. Yet, as I reinstall other bolts as I plod along with my restoration projects, I still put new lock washers on where they had been used before. Some old beliefs are hard to change and old habits are hard to break.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try McMaster Carr
www.mcmaster.com

RCP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our Tractor Supply store carries Grade 8 9/16" bolts, nuts and lockwashers.

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reusing main bolt lock washers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at TSC and a couple other chain stores, they all have 1/2" next was 5/8". I ended up going to a company named Fastenal. They had what I was looking for.
Thanks

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters