Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 7100 instrument panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I have a Ford 7000, with a wiring problem. When I put power to the tractor the fuel gauge does not turn on. It will stay all the way left or when wired a little bit differently it will go all the way right there is no in between and I have checked the fuel tank it is probably a quarter full, the temp gauge will work most of the time but when wired differently with the fuel gauge it will either be all or nothing. any ideas what to do? Such as hooking it up to the instrument panel or the voltage regulator? Thank you

Hacke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the backside of the instrument cluster?

Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I actually got it figured out just a bad ground but do have another question, do you know how to wire a one wire alternator idiot light for it? Thanks

Hacke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not familiar with 1-wire alternators, but I suppose you need some kind of voltage/current sensing gadget that drives the light.
I think it is better with a voltmeter gauge, that way you have information about charging and battery condition.

Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the help

bc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loganthefordy wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:47:02 04/11/21) I actually got it figured out just a bad ground but do have another question, do you know how to wire a one wire alternator idiot light for it? Thanks

Idiot lights should just have one wire coming in from the sender and are self grounding to the panel. Trace a charging wire from the alternator and splice into it or add another. If no existing idiot light, you can buy the little led lights at the auto parts store that are added by drilling a small hole in the panel. Not sure what you are asking.

Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would need the light to run like factory so its on initially but then if once the alternator takes over not just constant on

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the tractor was wired for a alternator warning light... If it has the same alternator, and regulator from the factory, the wire will be there and needs to be hooked back up. Often the original alternator has been changed out to a self regulating alternator, in which case you will need to run a new wire from the WL lead on the alternator back to where the wl wire at the regulator is and connect the two.
a wiring diagram would help you but remember the 7000 was a one off as it had a slight different hook up due being equipped with an alternator instead of the generator.... Is it a row crop or all purpose tractor?

Hacke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, my bad. Apparently, I misunderstood the question. I thought it was about a charging warning light for a 1-wire alternator.

Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has a new one wire alternator that is a Delco remi and its an all purpose, I just wanted to know if I had to wire it differently with that alternator, it had a factory alternator. The voltage reagator when hooked up to battery or constant power off alternator doesnt really seem to regulate the voltage since I hooked up a test light to it and it still lights up no matter what wire I hook it up to on the regulator

Hacke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, so I was not that far out. A 1-wire alternator has an integrated regulator and does not need the old regulator. Better run a new wire from alternator to the battery post on the starter, and leave the old wiring as it is, for now.

To be certain about what you have, can you post a picture of the back of the alternator and/or a link to a seller website that shows it?

Some information:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire2.shtml

Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here it is
[img]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto73615.jpg[/img]

Hacke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks like a Delco-Remy 12SI type alternator. It has an integral regulator, so you do not need the old regulator.
Under the rubber cap is normally an "R" post used for tachometer, not interesting in your case. At "1" and "2" there might be lugs, even on a 1-wire alternator. On a three-wire alternator the are used for sensing and warning light, but I do not know what their purpose are on a 1-wire.

Maybe you should contact the seller and ask for a wiring diagram?

I suppose you have a Ford 7000, 4-cylinders (a turbo charged 5000), not 6-cylinders?
Did the old setup look like the one in the attached picture (Motorola)?
If yes on both, I have a wiring diagram for it.

Loganthefordy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it was a Motorola but has been replaced with the one wire alternator, I do have the 7000 with 4 cylinders with a turbo, and have had a wiring diagram and it didnt work. Any other ideas?

Hacke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 7100 instrument panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loganthefordy wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:35:20 04/12/21) ...
The voltage reagator when hooked up to battery or constant power off alternator doesnt really seem to regulate the voltage since I hooked up a test light to it and it still lights up no matter what wire I hook it up to on the regulator

I am not certain what the problem is. You run the charging wire to the post on the starter solenoid, to which the battery cable from battery (+) is attached. The old regulator is of no interest when it comes to charging with the new alternator, since it has a regulator inside.

With this configuration, and engine running, you measure the battery voltage between the battery posts, and the voltage should be around 14 V, not less than 13.8 V. You may have to rev the engine up to, say, 1800 rpm in order to get the charging started.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters