Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

12 volt conversion on JD 430

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKJD430
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: 12 volt conversion on JD 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im finishing up a 6 volt to 12 volt negative ground conversion on my 430U. Its a internally regulated 1 wire Alternator. So It my understanding I could eliminate the voltage regulator. I still have an original rotating type JD ignition/light switch. I have a wire running from the Batt post to a fuse. Question: the wire running from the fuse was connected to the light terminal on the voltage regulator. Where should that wire be connected now to give the light circuit fuse protection? Thanks in advance.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt conversion on JD 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found an old post that covers this well.

The only difference this shows a 3 wire alternator, just disregard the blue wire with the diode to the alternator.

Looks like there is only one power wire to the ignition switch, that is where you would run the fused circuit. It will power the lights and the ignition circuit.
430 Wiring

AKJD430
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt conversion on JD 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:39:15 03/05/21) I found an old post that covers this well.

The only difference this shows a 3 wire alternator, just disregard the blue wire with the diode to the alternator.

Looks like there is only one power wire to the ignition switch, that is where you would run the fused circuit. It will power the lights and the ignition circuit.
430 Wiring

Thanks once again I appreciate the feedback. I know exactly how to wire it up now. Look Mom no sparks this. Time Smile

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt conversion on JD 430 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So It my understanding I could eliminate the voltage regulator. Yes, with internal regulated alternator you must remove the generator regulator.

Question: the wire running from the fuse was connected to the light terminal on the voltage regulator. Where should that wire be connected now to give the light circuit fuse protection? If present wiring is good you can just connect the wire from L terminal on old regulator to output post on the alternator.

Or you can connect the input side of the fuse to the alternator connection at the ammeter.

Steve has provided a link to good discussion and diagrams. However I believe that in the diagram with the alternator, the feed to the switch should come from the alternator side of the ammeter, not the battery side. Your fuse would go in this wire.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters