Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH Cub Ice Cream

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Appr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am considering trying to rig up a Cub tractor to turn a ice cream freezer for homemade ice cream. I saw a setup like that at a tractor show many years ago, but I'm not sure about how to do it now. Has anyone had any experience with a similar setup or know anyone who has? I would appreciate any information from anyone on this proposal.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first is find a way to reduce the rpms of the pto as it turns engine speed you only want around 60rpm when done

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Find an old hand crank ice cream machine. Replace the crank with a v-belt belt pulley. Mount to a sturdy base, maybe with some bricks in the bottom for weight. Install the belt pulley drive on your Cub. You can either replace the flat belt pulley with a small v-belt pulley or friction drive the v-belt on the flat pulley. The tractor shouldn't have to run at more than an idle, but even then it may spin the machine too fast. Smaller pulley on the tractor and larger on the ice cream machine will slow it down.

Indiana Ken
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you thought of a Rube Goldberg approach? That would be something like the tractor driving a generator, the generator powering an old electric motor and finally the motor driving the ice cream freezer. The freezer/motor set-up could be placed under a tent/shelter/old timey ice cream parlor etc, complete with lights. Driving the freezer with v-belts and motor would make it easier to obtain the proper RPM. In addition the motor would slow down under load indicating the ice cream is finished. Please send pictures when finished.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This idea allows a 20:1 reduction allowing 1000 PTO rpm to be reduced to 50 to drive the freezer. A 15 ft pound fluid coupling , or slip clutch is needed to prevent breakage. maybe a shear pin based device using a nail or? Jim
one example modest cost

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The belt doesn't have to be drum tight, just tight enough to turn the churn without slipping.

newtattoobob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Appr wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:18:14 04/05/21) I am considering trying to rig up a Cub tractor to turn a ice cream freezer for homemade ice cream. I saw a setup like that at a tractor show many years ago, but I'm not sure about how to do it now. Has anyone had any experience with a similar setup or know anyone who has? I would appreciate any information from anyone on this proposal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YIo8NjkRO1o

Here is a video on a setup you are looking for

Appr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: IH Cub Ice Cream Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help. If you think of anything else, please advise. If I ever get it operational, I'll be sure to show it to everyone, who knows I might even take it to Red Power. Thanks again.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters