Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hay Rack opinions wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
I am wondering about this hay rake.
No idea of brand.
It is available to me locally for $200
Not sure if it is a good design.
Appears ground driven, which is good for my tractor without hydraulics.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Thank you.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A picture would help.....

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a New Idea rake that was the spitting image of this one. It is painted in Ford colors. I suspect that some company built these
for many different branded tractor dealers. It was a very good rake , ground drive and the drive belts are still available from
Carquest.

steve wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its a Ford rake made by New Idea I've got one like it not a bad rake.

diesel fumes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we also have identical rake.it is new idea . very smooth running and quiet ;if tines and bars are straight

lastcowboy32
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:27:36 04/08/21) Hello,
I am wondering about this hay rake.
No idea of brand.
It is available to me locally for $200
Not sure if it is a good design.
Appears ground driven, which is good for my tractor without hydraulics.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Thank you.

We have a New Idea rake of the same design. Bought it for a few hundred bucks at an auction. It works fine.

One thing that I notice about yours is the weld and metal patch on the spine on the right side. Ours broke a spine almost in the exact same place a few years back and also needed to be repaired. I now wonder if that was a design issue with these rakes, given that the back tires draft quite a ways behind the rake body. That spine must get a lot of "slinky" action flexing back and forth over the years.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a "tranport" position for pulling it home wkthin the painted lines of road???

Or maybe the rake mechanism drops out to be hauled separately??

per online search it appears to be same as New Idea 402 or 403??

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Often can take the belt or a shaft off to ensure something doesnt drop into gear by accident as you run down the highway at 20-45 mph.

I get paranoid about such things on wheel drive equipment and pothole roads.....

Ive never used one, but they have a good reputation around here.

Paul

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen the results of what happens if it jumps into gear while pulling it down the road. It is not pretty. Downright ugly. Poor ol rake was turned into scrap iron all all at once.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For $200, Buy It Now. Unhook the drive
chain, air up the tires, Grease the
bearings and drive.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those old belt rakes, made by New Idea are simple and work forever. I bet I have raked 1000 acres with a $400 rake bought 20 years ago. Buy
it. Put it in neutral. If nervous put a bungie cord to hold it in neutral. Take it home. It will serve you well.

Handsome Devil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am with Hay hay hey. Mine is belt driven works fine not hard to pull down the road. Take your time. I put mine on a trailer as it was 40 miles from home and I had a trailer to use. I would not be afraid to pull it down the road but you do have to use your head. If the tires are rotten have a contingency plan if it lets go. Don't drive real fast, take your time. My belt drive is notched or detented enough it will take quite shock to make it jump into or out of gear. Tie the lever as suggested if your concerned and not a bad idea really. I replaced 4 "roller" bearings on the "roll-a-bar" as mine was well used. Replaced broken tines which are fairly cheap. Works well for my small operation. My old JD side bar rake still worked but made as much noise as a steel wheeled grain drill on black top road. The NI is so much more quiet. Good luck. Regards, John.

Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Rack opinions wanted Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My advice would be if you intend to use it in the field, get an owner manual and go over the entire
machine replacing all bad bearings and fixing all cracked welds, breaks, etc. replace the belt. Unless
you have 2 rakes you dont want a breakdown with hay ready to bale.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters